Rachel Hancock's Reviews > Olivia Saves the Circus

Olivia Saves the Circus by Ian Falconer

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: picture-storybooks
Read in February, 2012

Ian Falconer's "Olivia" tells the story of a little pig who tells her class about the time she went to the circus with her mom and little brother. She shares that when they got there, "all the circus people were out sick with ear infections" but that was alright because she "knew how to do everything." Olivia tells her class about all the different things she did while at the circus and describes herself as "Olivia the Tattooed Lady," "Olivia the Lion Tamer," "Olivia the Tight-rope Walker," "Olivia the Clown," "Flying Olivia," and "Madame Olivia." At the end of her presentation to the class, Olivia's teacher questions if all of her story is true and Olivia replies by saying "to the best of my recollection." When Olivia returns home from school, she tells her mom she did not do anything at school and at bedtime, Olivia drifts off to sleep believing she is "Queen of the Trampoline."

This book is a great story to read to children and allows their imaginations to soar as they follow Olivia on her crazy tale of adventure. Falconer's illustrations are endearing and I love the way they are expressed primarily in black and white with red accents. Additionally, the illustrations are very playful and jovial, as well as, Falconer's use of light and dark shadows.

I really enjoyed reading this book and was enthralled with Olivia's imaginative personality. I would highly recommend it to my students and would even consider asking them to create their own story about an adventure they took. I love the way Olivia believes she can be anything she sets her mind to and think children will get swept away in this classic children's picture storybook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivia Saves the Circus.