Ryan Schneider's Reviews > Hull Zero Three

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

Feb 08, 12

did not like it
Read in January, 2012

I was very disappointed by this novel.

The cover is cool and suggests epic space-faring science fictiony stuff.

Too bad the story fell short.

Way short.

The novel offers an interesting technological premise (a space ship sent from earth on a 500-year journey, and all the challenges that would entail).

But I was bored. There was a lot of description of the innards of the ship, and after awhile I tired of the constant struggle to try and create a mental image based on the confusing descriptions.

The writing style was lacking as well. The tone was constantly slow and relaxed, like a genial grandfather reading a story to a grandchild with the intent of lulling the child to sleep. And given that half of this story involved people running around the innards of the space ship, being chased by things intent on killing them, such a benign tone is not appropriate.

Ultimately I finished the book because I kept hoping it would improve or get good. It didn't. Meh.

I'm reading Greg Bear's SLANT now and it is much better.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hull Zero Three.

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Give Strength of Stones a go. I recently bought the e-book and still can't get the Image of thinking, evolving cities that kicked out their human inhabitants out of my head.

message 2: by Ryan (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryan Schneider Thank you very much for taking the time to make a recommendation, Jenny. I will keep Strength of Stones in mind should I decided to offer Bear another shot.

message 3: by Si (new) - rated it 4 stars

Si Barron I felt his descriptive powers were off too- he just failed in his ability to adequately describe the spaces they were continually rushing through- pictures would have helped. The one picture that was included at least gave me an overview which I would otherwise not have reached

Carmen I agree, the descriptions were confusing.

Devin If you had trouble understanding this work you should consider trying some easier material - there are many YA book series that would probably be easier for you to comprehend.