Beth's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Nov 05, 08

bookshelves: modern-culture-and-society, top-recommendations
Read in July, 2008

OH DAVE...just when I thought I had heard enough of your personal stories and anecdotes....I am blown out of the water and completely surprised.

After looking back at the previous Sedaris novels I found it interesting to see a more mature and more grownup Sedaris. What I did not find was Sedaris reaching as far for the shock and awe factor that is evident in Barrel Fever or Naked. Instead there is a new openness and rawness from Sedaris that is more endearing and provoking than previous writings. Maybe its the twinge of sadness I received when he talks about his mother's death or the fact that his once difunctional family does not appear to be all that disfunctional anymore; it appears that I as a reader have also grown and matured with Sedaris.

My biggest fear is that once David Sedaris decides to stop writing his personal memoirs I will have no more chuckle out loud moments while reading, which, in reflection, those moments where i chuckle and snort out loud are somewhat rare in regards to literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

courtney do you still have this book? i need humor.