Monique's Reviews > Sister

Feb 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: la-familia-family-life
Read in February, 2012

Hmm still wavering on how to rate this book and my thoughts on this part epistolary novel, part thriller, part mystery and part love proclaimation to the wonder and beauty of sisterhood are still unclear...Pause for a moment to reflect on the last part, the way this book describes and highlights the passion, the quirks and the immeasurable sense of love and envy embodied in sisterhood is truly commendable...I felt as if I were reading of me and my own beautiful, successful and bossy older sister and the way we know each other inside and out, good and bad and love each other anyway..the sisters in this novel Beatrice and Tess, like me and my big sissy are different as can be as Beatrice, native Londoner transported herself to New York and ends up living the life she always felt she was meant to with order, comfort and the stability of a fiance and career who regularly calls and writes her sister to half protect her, half chastise and find disdain and ridicule for Tess and her arty lifestyle..Her life and her sense of order and calm are forever rocked when she is called and told that Tess is missing. Immediately she flies to London to investigate her sister's disappearance knowing her compassionate and carefree sister Tess is pregnant with her married college tutor's baby. The novel reads as an open letter to Tess as Beatrice begins to resume Tess's life, meet her friends and talk to all those involved with her to find out what has happened to her..Tragically Tess is found dead in an abandoned public toliet building with all the markings to suggest it was a suicide. The way Lupton describes finding her body, her desperate mourning, the funeral, the grief, the loss and longing of a sister grieving the one who knows her best is heartbreakingly beautiful, very well written with bright spots of literary references I adored..With all the secrets and stories and suspects introduced you become enamored with this novel and dont want to put it down...however as soon as it started to get really good, I mean great, five-star caliber, the big "reveal" happens and honestly I was let down. I do understand the buildup, the surprise but here it did not work, it made the brillant novel seem unfinished and rushed and while the effect was to leave you breathless and left to draw your own conclusion--I felt annoyed and betrayed that such an eloquent deeply moving story ended so disappointingly..I can say this book makes me want to call my sister and tell her I love her right now and for that and the way the suspense builds I must say I recommend it, and if you read it and liked the ending please respond back to me LOL!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.