Sonya Grewal's Reviews > Haunted

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: february-2012
Read in February, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.

02/10/2012 page 23
10.0% "So far I find this book to be moving a bit slow. I think that in the end of this book Dee will have the chance to finally meet her mom. I wonder where Dee's mother went and why she never came back for Dee? What was her reason for her sudden disappearance and why did Dee never get the chance to meet her?"
02/10/2012 page 101
42.0% "This book is moving a bit faster than before. It is getting interesting now knowing that someone was murdered! Who murdered Mary-Ann Simpson and why? I think Podge looks like a suspect but he isn't smart enough to pull it off."

message 1: by Sonya (last edited Feb 10, 2012 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonya Grewal Dee lives with her grandmother infront of Pike's Mountain. Her mother had left her at a very young age and Dee never knew why. Like her Gran, Dee has a special ability called "The Sight" which allows them to see spirits from the afterlife and experience their deaths!
The morning Dee is feeding chickens, the local police discover bones up on the mountain. The police then show Dee a ring that they had found that had belonged to Mary Ann Simpson who had disappeared 4 years ago. Dee realizes that other girls have disappeared in the past too!
Gran tells Dee that her mother was one of the victims of this murderer. She told Dee how she was born because of him. Dee realized that she was the daughter of the murderer! Gran told Dee that her mother is in a mental hospital because she was in shock so much that she went crazy!
When Dee's friend, Clooey disappears and is murdered, the whole town accuses Podge. Dee knows it wasn't Podge because he isn't smart enough to pull it off. After the trial, Dee walks up the mountain to look for where Clooey was killed. Dee experiences her death but couldn't see the face of the murderer but she could smell a familiar scent. She ran down the hill crying! She knew who it was. She knew who the murderer was! As she ran down the hill, she saw her house on fire! She ran inside to get Gran and Mrs. Hughes helped pull her out!
Esther came running out of her house. She cried, "He took her!" Esther explained what had happened. "Vivien(Eshter's older sister) came home from the trial with Dr. Hughes. Dr. Hughes pulled up infront of Pike's Mountain. He had drugged Vivien so she couldn't get away. Gran came running out of the house to save her but he hit her in the head with a shovel and dragged her back in the house setting it on fire! Dr. Hughes took Vivien up the mountain to kill her!"
Mrs. Hughes cried, " I tried to stop him but it was no use!"
Dee ran back up the hill to save Vivien. Suddenly, all the girls he had killed appeared as ghosts and since Dee had "The Sight" she could see them! All the ghosts surrounded him to scare him. Dee didn't let them kill him. She said he should pay for his act the harder way (to face the town after what he had done). Dr. Hughes suffered the consequences by going to prison. After all of this was over, Gran took Dee to go meet her mother!
I picked this book because I really enjoy reading mystery books and because it was an official selection for the Red Maple Awards!
I finished this book because I wanted to find out who murdered all the girls. The book was also getting interesting and very suspenseful!
I would recommend this book to people who love reading mystery and horror books. This is a good mix between the two genres!