Susan K's Reviews > A Song of Ice and Fire, 5 Book Set Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons

A Song of Ice and Fire, 5 Book Set Series by George R.R. Martin

F_50x66
Apr 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

I've been contemplating my response to this series; it's complicated. On the one hand, since receiving the 1st of the series, I've read all 5 published books. On the other hand, I am continually disappointed in the books.
I have not yet seen the vision behind this series; although each POV chapter can "hook" you, I don't believe the author has a clear vision of where he wants his characters to be. There are some truly horrible characters in this series: folks I have absolutely no connection to; folks I abhor. In fact, in some ways this series reminds me of why I detest "reality TV" (survivor; Housewives of....").
I have not yet detected the underlying thread to this series. I am annoyed by the author in many ways: he uses way too many words to tell his story.
I also think calling this series "fantasy" is a misnomer. This series could be better called historical fiction. NOTHING in these books is "fantasy" except for cursory connections to "wargs" "others" etc...this is truly nothing but historical fiction with a few odds & ends added. Everything within the narrative could be framed within what we know about the pre-enlightment period of european history.
I'm so disappointed in this series...and YET: i've read all 5. So obvi, something is connecting. That something is the connection I have to a VERY FEW characters: Jon Snow, Arya Stark,Tyrion Lannister, Jamie Lannister. I want to know THIER story---and so have to wade through a bunch of crap to find it out.
You know, basically I think George RR Martin is a mediorcre (okay, BAD) writer....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song of Ice and Fire, 5 Book Set Series.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erica Murray-healy And yes I agree with this too, even down to the list of characters I like, although I would add daenarys too.

Janice How odd that you continued to read that which continually disappointed. I received the whole set for Christmas so I look forward to discovering for myself in due course.

Scribal I could not disagree more. This is one of the few books in decades that did NOT disappoint me. I love that I have to work and guess to figure out how things fit in. I love it that there are still parts of the five books that I'll have to wait to understand. Most books seem written by cookie-cutter plot device and I know where they're going on page 2.

Susan K Janice wrote: "How odd that you continued to read that which continually disappointed. I received the whole set for Christmas so I look forward to discovering for myself in due course."

Yes, it is odd; that's why I have been so reflective in my response to this series. I WANTED to get some answers---and (so far) have not. It's been a dissppointment; but an experience that has glimmers of hope....so far that hope has not been realized

Susan K Scribal wrote: "I could not disagree more. This is one of the few books in decades that did NOT disappoint me. I love that I have to work and guess to figure out how things fit in. I love it that there are still p..."

certainly not a cookie-cutter approach. and some truly engaging episodic writing. but overall, POOR writing; POOR plot development. I've felt on a cliff: the POTENTIAL in this story line is great; just not realized.

message 6: by Russ (new)

Russ Would you not call dragons fantasy? Or the woman in red, the white walkers, giants, direwolves, the whole story with Beric Dondarrion.
I have only read the first three books but seems like there has been quite a lot of fantasy so far

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I agree 100% this is so darn boring. The interesting part is the families but almost all of them are just evil. The chapters, if you can call them that are so disconnected at times. I wonder if this was written by committee. The show is better than the books. Unusual.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Vasian hehe, the fact that you've no clue as to where this is going is a big clue of the kind of reader you are. if anything, out of all the books out there, this is the best foreshadowed book ever. seriously, get a grip on it :)) i'm totally gonna read it at least once more since there's so much detail i'm bound to find out so much more the second time through. :P