Josephine's Reviews > The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye

The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye by Nancy Springer

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from March 02 to 03, 2012

Overall I really enjoyed this book and this whole series. They were quick, well written, fairly educational books with a fun character that I liked. There was only one tiny detail that kind of bothered me though. The books (especially this one) felt overly feminist to the point where I felt like it was saying that being a wife and or mother is far inferior to being a well educated woman who actually makes a difference in the world and isn't held back by a family, particularly by children. It was like it was saying, yeah, being a Mom is fine for some, but you can do so much better.
I guess I've been noticing that attitude a lot in young adult lit lately but it really seems to push it in this book. I am a mom, a stay at home mom at that, and I guess I get a little defensive with this attitude. I would have loved these books as a teen and loved Enola's independent nature. I will be happy to share them with my girls when they are old enough, but I hope that too much of these kinds of books won't give them the idea that being a mom is as bad as going to prison or consigning yourself to a life of misery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye.