Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Doctor Who: The Ripper

Doctor Who by Tony Lee

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** As a side note, it’s amusing to know that growing up all my friends were huge Dr. Who fans but I never cared for the 1960-1970’s Who. The twenty-first century Who sees the reverse of that. Anyhow, this is the eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory in graphic novel form. The sad truth is I’ve been out of the comic book collecting for a couple years now and I’m not sure if there is a monthly comic or if this graphic novel is the only form but I suppose it doesn’t matter.

It opens with a short story, that’s quite amusing. Rory tries checking his email inside the Tardis causing all of the various ‘characters’ in his spam folder to come to holographic life (like all the various ‘princes’ who need your help to get their money out of their beleaguered countries). This causes the Tardis to shut down for repairs just in time for intergalactic pirates to show up.

The bulk of the story (self contained, no cliffhanger thankfully), is as the title promises, Dr. Who visits London during the height of Jack the Ripper’s active period. They get bonus points for working in the misspelled note written on the wall and giving it a reason for being misspelled.

What happens if Jack is not a doctor or royalty? What if Jack isn’t even human? That’s the problem facing the Doctor, Amy and Rory went they realize what time period they’re in. Worse, after a spirited debate over changing history, Amy knows she can not just let Mary Kelly become the Ripper’s last victim. Too bad for her, this desire brings her to the Ripper’s attention.

It was fun. It could easily have been an episode. It felt true to the characters. The art was doing by several people with several different takes on how to draw the characters. I thought it was well done. I enjoyed this graphic novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.