Megan's Reviews > Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey

Riding the Bus with My Sister by Rachel Simon

Mar 04, 12

Read in March, 2012

Simon grew up in a troubled family with a developmentally disabled daughter, a fact that no one in her family seemed to want to talk about or address. Fast forward 39 years and her sister now lives alone in an apartment and spends her days riding the buses in her town. She's memorized the schedules of her favorite riders, figures out the best routes each day that will get her on the bus with those drivers at the least busy times so she can hang out with them, and has created her own social network in the public transportation web of her city. After a visit to her sister during which they "ride the buses", the author is invited by her siter to ride with her for a year. She accepts, partly out of curiousity and mostly out of the desire to work on her troubled relationship with her sister. What follows is a tale that is true of many sisters - one of drama, heartbreak, laughter, love, sharing confidences and life lessons, and stuggling with one other for acceptance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding the Bus with My Sister.