Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > Blood and Silver

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: literal-addiction-books, reviewed
Read from July 12 to 17, 2012

Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha, Michelle L. Olson:

After reading - and thoroughly enjoying- Blood and Bullets, I immediately dove into Blood and Silver, the 2nd full book of the Deacon Chalk, Occult Bounty Hunter series.

Following the hell Deacon and gang went through in Blood and Bullets, I was excited to see where James would take us with book #2. What we ended up with is a high octane shoot 'em up action thriller with feeling.

I KNOW there are those of you out there that hesitate to read urban fantasy and paranormal romance by male authors... Deacon is a guys' guy and wonderfully written by James. In addition there are some romantic moments in this book that I re-read just for the sheer beauty and poetry of the prose. I loved the way James set the stage and wove the scenes without really coming out and saying what was going on, there's just something to be said for subtlety and allowing the power of your imagination to do the work guided by the script of fabulous writing.

This book starts with a bang and never lets up. It's non-stop action wonderfully supported by a competent cast of characters that welcome you on their journey and either have you cheering for them, crying for them (yes, you will have your moments!) or hating them.

Deacon evolves in this installment, as do several other members of the supporting cast. He also earns some additional allies and friends (whom I love), while making some powerful enemies along the way (surprise surprise! - It seems that no matter what he does and regardless that his heart is always in the right place, Mr. chalk just can't seem to stay out of trouble).

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Blood and Silver 4 1/2 Skulls. If you are a fan of early Laurell K Hamilton - Anita Blake (before it became all about the sex), then you will love Deacon Chalk! I can't wait for the next book. James, as always, left me wanting more.

Side Note: there were a couple pieces in the story where I felt a bit lost and was confused because I had just finished Blood & Bullets. Come to find out I had missed a novella that takes place between Blood & Bullets and Blood & Silver - Spider's Lullaby. I went back and read it after and it filled in those few little "huh?" moments. With that said, I would suggest reading the series as: That Thing at the Zoo, Blood & Bullets, Spider's Lullaby & then Blood & Silver to get the best experience. The novellas are definitely worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Silver.