Rachel's Reviews > The Solitude of Prime Numbers

The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 28 to 30, 2012

** spoiler alert ** One great thing about being a part of a book club is that you get a chance to read books that you may have never heard of otherwise. Such is the case with Giordano's The Solitude of Prime Numbers, a book I read back in January. I was definitely intrigued by the premise of this book, in which the two main characters are drawn together by their common experience of tragedy in their youth.

In all honesty, this is not a book that will leave you feeling uplifted. You'll be frustrated with Alice as she struggles with an eating disorder and the inability to accept that she is capable of being loved just as she is. Your heart will break for Mattia as he tries to move on from losing his twin sister and the guilt he feels for being responsible. You'll root for these two characters to find love together, and be frustrated that they ultimately drift from one another.

Women who read this book will likely be able to relate to some of the torment Alice endures in her youth as she tries to fit in with the popular crowd. My favorite part of the book had to be when Alice, when face-to-face with her high school nemesis as an adult, comes out on top.

I continue to be amazed that a physicist wrote such a page-turning piece of fiction. I highly recommend this book for those looking for a darker read that fascinates and frustrates you all at once...

...and encourage you to let me know what you think happened at the end (which was a topic of much debate in my book club!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Solitude of Prime Numbers.