David's Reviews > Essays of E.B. White

Essays of E.B. White by E.B. White

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in November, 2011

Here are some of the opening sentences found in this collection of essays.

To come upon an article in the Times called "The Meaning of Brown Eggs" was an unexpected pleasure.
Someone told me the other day that a seagull won't eat a smelt.
I spent several days and nights in mid-September with an ailing pig.
Mosquitoes have arrived with the warm nights, and our bedchamber is their theater under the stars.
I wasn't really prepared for the World's Fair last week, and it certainly wasn't prepared for me.
Waking or sleeping, I dream of boats -- usually of rather small boats under a slight press of sail.
On any person who desires such queer prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy.
I see by the new Sears Roebuck catalogue that it is still possible to buy an axle for a 1909 Model T Ford, but I am not deceived.

Do I really need to continue? With opening lines like these, you know you are in good hands. 22 of the 31 essays in this collection appeared originally in The New Yorker . Many of the pieces evoke a very particular time and place. They are all so beautifully written that reading them is a pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essays of E.B. White.