Sarah's Reviews > About a Girl

About a Girl by Joanne Horniman

Feb 08, 12

Recommended for: Amanda McFall
Read from February 04 to 07, 2012

I loved this book. The writing is beautiful--very melodic and candid. I was immediately drawn into the story. About a Girl is a love story, one that is raw, believable, and passionate. There are some intense emotions here and I was quite taken with the verisimilitude of the text.

In fact, this book was almost too close to home; I shed some tears over very familiar events to my own life. Really knowing another person is so complex and difficult; it's unsettling, wonderful, treacherous, and ecstatic. Anna and Flynn authenticate the perils and joys of a real relationship.

Horniman powerfully explores family as well. Putting aside selfish desires and accepting and loving your family is really what's important. Anna comes to this conclusion after absorbing Flynn's complex and intense feelings--through her relationship with Flynn, though ultimately painful, Anna finally realizes how and why to love those closest to her.

Life is never what you expect it to be--you cannot escape pain or trauma no matter how impervious you think you are. Yet somehow, our relationships and love can help soften those blows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About a Girl.