Donovan's Reviews > Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, thriller
Read in September, 2011

I read this after the mentor for my novel writers course recommended I undertake a review of the first page. I'll use it here, but before I do, this is a fun read and not to be taken too seriously. It is also violent in nature. It is the first in The Broken Empire series.

Review
The opening page to ‘Prince of Thorns’ will find you immediately seized by a variety of morbid and bloody literary hooks and is clearly not a novel for the pacifistic reader. Mark has been very clever in his ability to impart detail about the environment and the reference to the scythes and axes denotes it has been set in an age of old where violence is a way of life.
The reference to the number of dead and wounded lying around provides a good idea to the scale of the scene. We are not overburdened with facts and figures and provided enough tantalising detail for our minds to fill in the blanks.
Despite the somewhat gloomy atmosphere in this opening scene, it is full of colourful references to the surrounding architecture, including the wildlife that accommodates it. The
writing paints both a picture, and with audio references, easily becomes animated by the reader’s imagination. We find ourselves in a point of view that contains a combination of curiosity, subtle superstition, mild morality mixed with a hint of dark mirth. These character qualities are enticing in their promise of the fun and bloody adventures ahead as referenced by ‘it’s killing that gives me a thirst’.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Thorns.