Jill's Reviews > Sweet Enemy

3820197
Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance-european, 2012-debuts
Read in February, 2012

Liliana Claremont is a twenty-four year-old spinster and scientist. Her parents both dead, Liliana stumbles upon evidence that her father's death after an attack by robbers, may not have been random afterall, but a planned murder. She is intent on finding the murderers and seeing them pay. With clues in-hand in the form of coded letters from the late Earl Of Stratford, she agrees to attend a house party with her Aunt and cousin at Somerton Park, ancestral home of Geoffrey Wentworth, (present) Earl of Stratford. If Liliana is correct, the clues necessary to solve her father's murder will be found at Somerton Park.

Geoffrey Wentworth, former soldier was second in line to the Earldom. Upon his brother's death, he inherited the title and responsibilities that go with it, including the responsibility of producing the requisite heirs. Absorbed in his political career, he has little time or inclination for marriage. His mother on the other hand, considers Geoffrey's only duty is to produce an heir. With neither Geoffrey's knowledge or approval she proceeds to invite a number of eligible young ladies to the family home, Somerton Park in Stropshire for a house party.

Both Geoffrey and Liliana are good people. Geoffrey wants to use his title and influence to help former soldiers, who have come back to England, having no job, income, or housing. Liliana is a scientist in a time when women's education and careers were not considered important or even necessary. The romance was a slowly evolving one. Neither Geoffrey nor Liliana desire to marry. Their relationship grows from respect and admiration. The lessons in love that Geoffrey teaches Liliana are surprisingly sensual and beautifully described.

I particularly enjoyed Heather Snow's scientific details woven into the plot. In the author's notes and bio I found that Ms Snow is herself a chemist. She has cleverly incorporated her own knowledge and experience as a scientist into the heroine's career. Consequently giving the story and the heroine's career an authentic feel, without overwhelming the reader with too much detail.

Sweet Enemy is a really enjoyable read and an impressive historical romance debut.

Steam: 3

17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Enemy.

Jill Hopefully have it up later today Mary Elizabeth.

message 2: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Me too, me too.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Great review, Jill!! this sounds like a great read. I love the stories where women are ahead of their time... scientist? Oh, yeah!

Jill Thanks Dhes! Yes, the h is a scientist and I found the characterisation particularly well done. This is because of the author's own scientific career I think . I'm sure you'll enjoy this.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Feb 08, 2012 07:52PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Great review Jill! I hope to get to this one soon, glad to see the science details are not too overwhelming :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick And a debut author?? Excellent!

Jill Lisa wrote: "Great review Jill! I hope to get to this one soon, glad to see the science details are not too overwhelming :)"

Thanks Lisa! I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy this one.

The scientific details add to the credibility of the h's career as well as to the story as whole. But not overdone at all. Look forward to your review!

Jill UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "And a debut author?? Excellent!"

Yes Dhes, a debut author. This year I've decided to concentrate my reading and reviews on debut authors and their books. Holy cow, didn't realise there would be so many!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick There are a lot of fabulous authors out there, aren't there! People we've never heard of before. I've been searching for new authors, or authors new to me and have been having great luck!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I'm surprised actually. I thought (hoped) that I could cut down on my reading by just concentrating on debuts. But pnr romance and HR especially, have so many new authors, it's hard to keep up.

message 11: by Jill (last edited Feb 08, 2012 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Mary Elizabeth! I think we must be just about even with the recommendations we get from each other to add to The Mtn!

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thankyou Baba.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Glad I bought this one after your review. I was intrigued by the heroine being a scientist, since my career is in the sciences as well.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I really liked the idea of the h as a scientist as well Danielle. And the details and descriptions all read very authentically.

Which arm of the sciences is your career?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I have a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine, and also two Bachelor of Science degrees, Veterinary Science and Biomedical Sciences.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Okay, then I think you'll appreciate the credible characterisation of the heroine in this, Danielle.
Look forward to your thoughts.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm a chemist, I think I might have to read this book.

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hi Andrea, love to see what you think of it then.
The h's father was a chemist, her mother a healer. And she has decided to devote her life to bringing the two streams of science together to help others.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I have a friend who is a chemist, and hearing him talk about his job is interesting.

message 21: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Nice review Jill and this one sounds really good!

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thankyou KatLynne! And SE is a very good HR debut.

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Have you od'ed on HR Mary Elizabeth??

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Okay! Well this one's not going anywhere, just read it when the HR bug bites.

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "will do :) but A Lady Awakened comes 1st LOL"

Ahhh, ME I loved ALA! (You probably know this already. LOL!) I can't wait to see what you think of it. (Hope you don't hate it. Gah!)
Get reading girl!

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill <>
I know you'll give an honest and fair review even if you hate it Mary Elizabeth! (*fingers crossed* that you don't)

message 27: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Another great review Jilly! Eeeep, excited about this one. I have to read!

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "well since the author gave me a free copy I'll be honest but keep my claws sheathed ;) LOL"

@ Mary Elizabeth
O right, you won it but weren't sure. Now I remember. Look forward to your rating and review ME.

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wendy wrote: "Another great review Jilly! Eeeep, excited about this one. I have to read!"

@ Wendy

message 30: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Jill wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Another great review Jilly! Eeeep, excited about this one. I have to read!"

@ Wendy
Thanks Wen! There are so many good HR debuts atm, it's hard to keep up. But this is very good."

Deep breaths... OK Jilly, this is being moved up. Maybe I should read this now? Since I'm undecided on what to pick up next. Decisions, decisions...

message 31: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill What genre do you feel like? Contemp, historical, pnr??

message 32: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Mmmmmm. I've been on the PNR run a bit lately. So...oh I don't know. *sighs*

message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Well, maybe you should try the RLM Playing for Keeps?? ( Although I haven't read it.) Everyone loves it, it's cheap, it's light and fun.

message 34: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Oooo, only 99c. Awesome, thanks Jilly! I need something light and fluffy.

You realise, I've just made you a "go to friend", when I can't decide what to read. It's a big job, Jilly. But I'm sure you can handle the pressure. *snickers*

message 35: by Jill (last edited Feb 13, 2012 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill LOL! Thanks Wen. I hope I can handle the pressure! Just hope you enjoy PfK!

message 36: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Hehe, thanks Jilly. I'm sure I will. ;)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Sounds good, Jill! Will add to pile. LOL

message 38: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Anna!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book looks good. Wonderful review, Jill.

message 40: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Kristen. And yes I think a really good HR and very good debut.