Katie's Reviews > Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read on April 09, 2012

Of Mice and Men is a short tale about two farmhands, Lennie and George. Lennie is slightly mentally disabled and relies on George to take care of him and be his friend. Animals such as rabbits, mice, and puppies are used to represent Lennie’s innocence. The farm hands have been recently kicked off a farm for Lennie’s alleged rape of a woman. The pair is on their way to another farm to become farm hands. The two plan of one day having a farm of their own where Lennie can take care of rabbits and satiate his obsession to pet soft things. Once on the new farm, Lennie and George become acquainted with the other farmhands and form meager friendships. There are several references to death on the farm, foreshadowing the fate of the innocent. There is only one woman in the novel, Curley’s wife, who is responsible for corrupt actions and inevitably causes dissension among the men.

Steinbeck uses Of Mice and Men to portray the unobtainable dreams of men. It is evident that women have not part among men’s lives other than to cause trouble. Women, when present, are depicted as harlots and the essences of men’s demise. The novel demonstrates levels of power, physical and mental, as well as innocence and its consequences. Of Mice and Men explores reality rather than sugarcoating circumstances of life.

I hated this book. I did not appreciate the constant foul language and feel that it is inappropriate for middle school readers. If I were to teach this book, I would allow it to be an optional read. This is definitely not a book I would teach to an entire class. I do not believe many girls would like this book. It seems to be targeted more at boys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Mice and Men.