Whitley Birks's Reviews > Graceling

Feb 08, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: ya-fantasy, made-me-uncomfortable
Read from April 21 to June 07, 2014

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

10/03/2013 marked as: d-maybe-for-blog 6 comments
04/21/2014 marked as: currently-reading
04/21/2014
3.0% "What is this? Is...is she doing chapter snarks again???

Yes. Yes I am. :D" 5 comments
04/29/2014
16.0% "The longer this book stalls, the more and more I feel duped by that fast-paced first chapter." 1 comment
04/30/2014
18.0% "Today, the book implies that being a person and wanting to look pretty cannot coexist."
05/01/2014
20.0% "I've said it before and I'll say it again, 'disabling' shots in a setting devoid of soap and surgeons is just a slower way of killing someone."
05/07/2014
28.0% "Today, being nice to kids doesn't mean you won't kill adults.

Or, you know, that you're actually a good ruler."
05/09/2014
31.0% "Today, on How Not To Backstory, if you want to give your character anger issues you have to actually give your character anger issues."
05/14/2014
38.0% "Today, Katsa's "uncontrollable rage" subplot ends as tepidly as it began." 2 comments
05/22/2014
46.0% "Today, on How Not To Feminism, please don't imply that the answer to violence against women is more violence."
05/23/2014
51.0% "Today, on How Not To Feminism, Katsa assumes that being married means being owned.

Or possibly that it consumes your soul."
05/30/2014
69.0% "Today, on How Not to Feminism, the book is actively rewriting history to make Bitterblue more important than all those other young girls that are currently suffering back at the castle."
06/07/2014 marked as: read

Tyler What made you uncomfortable about the book, may I ask?

Whitley Birks Tyler wrote: "What made you uncomfortable about the book, may I ask?"

The amount of anti-femininity in the book put me off. Katsa's strength comes at the expense of anything "female-y," to the point where she destroys expensive dresses and the book acts like we're supposed to cheer for her over that. There's just a lot of points where it feels like the book is saying "look! She's not girly, because being girly is stupid, no, she's strong! She's so ungirly, and that's progressive! Girly-girls suck!" I just didn't like that.

And there's the whole "only kings actually do stuff, it's not like someone who isn't a king could possibly have kidnapped Po's granddaddy. Nope. Peasants don't do shit, only the nobles! That must be why Katsa's a noble even though it serves no actual purpose except to make her a Real Person."

Probably some other stuff, but it's been a long time since I read the book, hence the reason I didn't write a full review for it.

manda oh lord I hope you write a review of this...

Herman Gigglethorpe I love your commentary on the "arrow to the knee" chapter. Catsup should be beaten with a copy of the Lions of Al-Rassan, which covers medieval fantasy medicine extensively in the parts about Jehane.

When I got to the chapter where Catsup's Grace is revealed to be "survival", I knew she was an exile from bad Harry Potter fanfiction. Then again, the average Pottersue has more specific powers.

I found this book to be too bland and average to rate below a 3 when I read it, but I can definitely see why you hate it, Whitley. You have to review Fire and Bitterblue now. :) I hear Fire has a much more annoying main character, and gratuitous sex that turned off many Graceling fans, according to some of the reviews here.