Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Other Side

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, historical-fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Read on February 20, 2012

This is a very simple but not one bit simplistic story. This book would be a fine way to introduce the topics of segregation and interpersonal relationships. It’s really lovely and is beautifully and perfectly complemented with its beautiful watercolor illustrations. I love how the children, particularly the two new friends, are described and depicted. I got a laugh out of how the always clever kids get around the adult made rules, and I really appreciate how Clover’s mother, while very protective of her, does not interfere with the budding new friendship her daughter develops. It’s a sweet and quiet and sometimes amusing story, but also incredibly heartbreaking. With such a short picture book, I was impressed by how well I felt I got to know the characters. Great springboard for discussion! I love watercolors and I loved the paintings on each page, just on their own, and they also greatly enhance the story. I did find it an interesting choice that no obvious differences were shown regarding the financial situations of the two girls’ families, not that I noticed.

4 ½ stars
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Now, I have to get to my own reread..."

Yes, I'm eager to read what you have to say about it.

Ronyell Great review Lisa! I really enjoyed this book also!

Lisa Vegan Ronyell wrote: "Great review Lisa! I really enjoyed this book also!"

Ronyell, Did you read it recently?

Ronyell Lisa wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Great review Lisa! I really enjoyed this book also!"

Ronyell, Did you read it recently?"

Yeah, I just recently read it and I really enjoyed it! I loved how the two girls in the book became friends anyway despite the racial tensions that surrounded them at the time.

Lisa Vegan I just don't remember it THAT well but remember it more than many books I read a few years ago.