Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: is-it-just-me-goddammit, fat-kitty-judges-you, oh-you-so-funny, the-hate-it-burns, whiny-bitches, dafuq-did-i-just-read, skimfest, kill-it-with-fire, reviewed-2012, wtf-am-i-doing, stabby-stabby, cheesetacular, lit-for-the-chicks, romance-contemp, zzzzzzz, facepalm, i-deserved-it
Recommended to Anzu by: all my friends. thank you guys so much!
Recommended for: legally blondes
Read from February 10 to 12, 2012, read count: 1

Goal: Read a light book and laugh my ass off.

Result: Read a stupid book that made me want to cut it into little pieces.

Overall Goal: Happiness.

Overall Result: A sh*tty headache.

All my friends gave Can You Keep A Secret? a high score, all of them loved it, all of them asked me to read it.

So I did.

Yep. And I ended up having a headache. Literally. Mrs. Kinsella you owe me a pack of meds and a nice foot massage.

So why did all my friends love this book and I didn’t? I have no idea, to tell you the truth. I just know this: Emma is an idiot. A shallow clownish stupid boring insecure clueless loser. She’s the reason why I hated the book.
”'Please promote me,' I say desperately. 'Please. I have to get a promotion to impress my family. It's the only thing I want in the whole world, and I'll work so hard, I promise, I'll come in at weekends, and I'll … I'll wear smart suits.”

Facepalm compilation in

And btw, wtf is this Panther Cola crap? Is it cola that panthers drink or cola made out of panthers?
88 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Keep a Secret?.

02/10/2012
4.0% ""Since then, I've hardly ever worn this particular set of underwear, needless to say. But every so often I see them looking all nice and expensive in the drawer and think, Oh come on, they can't be that tight, and somehow squeeze into them. Which is what I did this morning. I even decided I must have lost weight, because they didn't feel too bad. I am such a deluded moron." Wtf am I reading?" 3 comments
02/10/2012
11.0% "Why does she have to be such an idiot?"
32.0% "I don't know if I'll be able to finish this" 4 comments
02/12/2012
91.0% "Ugh end already!!"
02/12/2012
100.0% "RCS"

Madu so sorry that you don't like it :(

message 2: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I'm sorry too.. I was expecting something totally different... :(

Madu Even if I love this book, I am prepared to read your review, which I am sure that will be hilarious :)))

Miss I liked this book, the author's humor gets to me I guess, but I've Got Your Number is funnier.
SK writes these ditzy heroines that can be annoying I guess, but because the scrapes they get into are so hilarious I don't mind. :-)

message 5: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Loool Madu it won't be so funny :)) I was having a headache while reading so it kept me from writing proper notes :p

Miss I really can't read books where the main character is retarded. I simply don't find them funny.. I'm still meh about the book so I don't know what to say. I'll end it with I hate Emma's guts.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Love it! Caught me off guard and I'm still laughing!!

Aly is so frigging bored Dude, come on=)))

Dija What Aly said.

message 9: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer What? :|

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I'm really glad I'm not alone on this.

Lyuba Hi Anzu, your review is 1000% what I want to say about the book. Plus, this Emma character didnt make it funny but kind of depressing... Like it all sucks for her, her family, her job, her friends... I was thinking "Seriously, why dont you just kill yourself" and "Dumb, you are soo Dumb" This book was total waste of time, I guess I just didt like the personality this character had....she lies for everything.. And that really pissed me off. Anyways, it was dissapointig.

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Lyuba wrote: "Hi Anzu, your review is 1000% what I want to say about the book. Plus, this Emma character didnt make it funny but kind of depressing... Like it all sucks for her, her family, her job, her friends...."

Looooool, that is so true. Maybe if she killed herself and came back as a ghost the story could be at least a bit funny. Seeing this junk in the "humor" category makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

message 13: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Lol really? You'll read it?

Did I mention that I hate Sophie Kinsella?

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I disagree. Books are an experience that is supposed to, say, improve your shitty day. Make you feel something. Teach you a lesson. Kinsella's books are junk that serve no purpose other than wasting precious time.

Melissa Oh I completely agree!! I found her absolutely pathetic- I barely finished and when I did, I couldnt believe I bothered sticking it out. Ugh! WHY are people loving this book!??

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Melissa wrote: "Oh I completely agree!! I found her absolutely pathetic- I barely finished and when I did, I couldnt believe I bothered sticking it out. Ugh! WHY are people loving this book!??"

This book and this author. I have no idea.

message 17: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth It's funny, it's light, it's heartwarming, and its hopeful. when you read chick lit, you shouldn't expect something deep and then gripe when you don't find it. your review its awfully harsh. if you don't like chick lit, then don't read it. Emma is funny. suicide isn't. so don't joke about it.

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Beth wrote: "It's funny, it's light, it's heartwarming, and its hopeful. when you read chick lit, you shouldn't expect something deep and then gripe when you don't find it. your review its awfully harsh. if you..."

Good for you, but I don't care. I joke about whatever the hell I wanna joke about. If you can't handle it then don't read my reviews.

message 19: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Wiltberger Panther Cola was the item of the system. What they made and what there outcome came to be. Although, the "Give me a promotion, please!" was ridiculous.

message 20: by Bana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bana I was like please don't tell me people like this exist in real life? Seriously I kept thinking "this girl is an idiot" the more I read it. Though I'd have probably told off Kerri a LONG ASS time ago and called my mom out for obviously liking her more :p

message 21: by ♥ Sarah ♥ (last edited Nov 13, 2013 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

♥ Sarah ♥ Thank you! I'm reading this right now (trying to push through to the end) and I am so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Emma. She's such a moron.

I love how she begs for a promotion like a kid begging for a toy, promises she'll work really hard when she gets it and then after she was denied proceeds two pages later to describe her average morning as reading emails, goofing off, and overall avoiding work. Yet she deserves a promotion after only a year. Plus, she complains about every single thing her boss asks her to do. I don't think she does any task for her job that she doesn't complain about in this book.

Oh, and one more thing. She wants to be a marketing associate and yet she complains about the marketing department doing market research because she thinks it's pointless. That's just idiotic.

Facepalm says it all. Emma is the type of person I literally can't stand in real life (and yes, I've met a few who are just as dumb if not dumber).

psbish I completely disagree with your opinion of this book! I thought it was hilarious, though I suppose i see what you mean about Emma. However, those photos did just make my day!

message 23: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina "I just know this: Emma is an idiot. A shallow clownish stupid boring insecure clueless loser." <--- THIS!!!!

message 24: by Mick (new)

Mick This is all feckin hilarious, especially Anzu's review here... and has now made we want to read this book actually.

message 25: by Ilka (new)

Ilka Piedade you want to see a real idiot, read the first book in the shopaholic collection, the MC's stupidity is giving me physical pain

Liana u people do get serious over some FICTION :)

Mistress Cee Same, all my friends seem to like it, but I'm the only one who hates it. The MC seriously killed the book for me. She was funny at first, but then that was until she got annoying and I realized how pathetic she was.

Brigitta Bede I completely agree with you. Emma is the most annoying, stupid, shallow, pathetic, dumb heroine ever. Seriously. She totally killed the book for me.

message 29: by Diana (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana Totally agree with your review, which was freakin hysterical. Emma was beyond a pathetic loser, that's being too nice. I totally don't take chick-lit seriously at all and usually I can ignore the stupid stuff in them, but this went way overboard the idiotic train lol. Those of you crying about this review that she's taking it too seriously. Ummm no, the book just plain ole sucked the big one...Period!