Natalie's Reviews > To Tame A Highland Warrior

Feb 20, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-fiction, paranormal, romance
Read from February 08 to 14, 2012

In honour of Valentines Day (and the fact that I'm supposed to read a book from every genre for my Genres of Fiction class this semester) I decided to pick up a romance novel last week. Having heard a lot of positive things about Karen Marie Moning, I figured picking up a book from one of her Highlander series would probably be my best bet. While I enjoy novels with romance plots, I haven't read a Harlequin type romance since back in high school. I knew I should expect flowery language and scenes that got hot and heavy, but I couldn't help but feel like the entire novel was a little bit ridiculous!

Maybe it's because I did my undergrad in English Literature, but the entire time I was reading this novel I couldn't stop myself from cringing at the writing style and the absolute cheesiness of some of the lines that were thrown in. For example, "Her knees buckled. His voice brought her violently to life. Everything in the room receded and there was only Grimm, blue eyes blazing, his massive frame filling the doorway." Okay...that may not be the cheesiest of lines but it was the best example I could find online since I've already returned the book to the library... but you get my point. The absurdity of some of the dialogue and narration in the novel really made me want to start a meme called "Worst Romance Lines of All Time," or something like that. On the bright side, however, these cheesy lines were good for a couple of laughs and giggles.

Although I may have found the writing amusing, the plot itself certainly had potential. While it was pretty obvious that there was bound to be a happy ending (kind of a requirement with romance novels), there was a slight twist at the end that I hadn't been expecting. I also enjoyed the fact that this story was set in a historical period, but also incorporated the paranormal. Grimm's supernatural strength certainly resulted in some interesting situations. Overall, I think this is probably a book that hardcore fans of romance novels will LOVE, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people. While I can understand why many readers devour romance novels, I have yet to be won over by their charm. Maybe one day!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Tame A Highland Warrior.