Delilah's Reviews > When Copper Suns Fall

When Copper Suns Fall by KaSonndra Leigh

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, science-fiction, fantasy, 50-2012
Read from February 08 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A bleak future after a nuclear war. Chromosome gifted people (or as Marvel comics would say - mutants) live in the cities, apparently as some kind of ruling class. Somewhere in the past there was also a war between two factions of angel decendents, which lead to all people with angel blood being considered outlaw.

A young girl tries to safe her comatose brother's life. There are intriques, mysteries, sword fights and were-beasts. There are also robotic birds and a perpetual state of being watched in the city.

All that should have made me love this book. Sadly, I am forced to admit that something was lacking from the story.

If 'When Copper Suns Fall' were created as a movie or tv series, the sparse descriptions of the culture and history would have made sense to me. The no doubt very impressive visuals of the screen medium would have been able to carry the story and made us forget that while there are at least maybe twenty characters mentioned in the book, they are mostly all just given names without anything else behind it. It would have been no problem, because we would have had a face to keep the characters apart, instead of helplessly grasping at names that mean nothing to the reader (as happened to me here).

Also what I really, really, really missed in the story was an explanation as to what the certain kinds of chromo gifted people could do. We are told that there are Trackers who can follow a person practically anywhere, but somehow they are using technology to do this. If they are some kind of human blood hounds that canliterally smell someone out, why do they need machines to do their job? The same goes with the Thoughmasters. Are they telepaths, empaths, stage actors? Or is Thoughtmaster just a glorified word for interrogator?

Then we are told that the Caduceans are good angel guys and the Tainted are the bad guys. Strangely it is the Caduceans who continuously lie/obfuscate to the narrator for her own good, or they delete her memory. The Tainted, as much as they seem to do evil things with the zombification and attemps to world domination, have not been anything but dead honest as far as I could see.

Because of this I am not so sure if our narrator is on the right side of this celestial conflict. Something just did not ring true for me there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Copper Suns Fall.

02/08/2012 page 31