Michael Johnston's Reviews > 77 Shadow Street

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

M_50x66
Feb 18, 12

Read from February 08 to 18, 2012

I'm generally not interested in the horror genre - scary monsters killing and eating people doesn't do much for me. However, I have read all of Koontz's Odd Thomas books and enjoyed the main character and the odd, ironic and funny tone of that series so I thought I would pick up his newest book to see how it was.

Although infused with the same simple, straight-forward prose and easy narrative style, this is a classic horror book - a small group of people trapped in a house being chased (and killed) by grotesque, evil and vaguely human monsters. Koontz adds a moderately interesting time portal plot twist and a vaguely cautionary tale about the need for humanity in science.

It felt like the book was 3/4 build up and 1/4 payoff, but then again that is the nature of both Koontz's writing style and of this kind of novel. For me it was too slow at the outset and too short in the payout. I also thought the final morality tale conclusion was cliched and had an almost after thought feel to it.

For fans of the horror genre, this will feel comfotable and will be an easy and fun read. For my part, I await the next Odd Thomas book with the hope that my friend Odd will engage me once again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Shadow Street.

02/08/2012 page 182
40.0% "It sounded like an interesting idea when I picked it up, but I'm struggling a bit to get through it. Perhaps it's just getting warmed up?"
02/14/2012 page 365
81.0% "It took a long time for this book to catch my attention (and I'm not a fan of the scary monster genre), but the underlying story is starting to get interesting. We'll see."