Courtney's Reviews > Mornings with Jesus 2012: Daily Encouragement for Your Soul 366 Devotions

Mornings with Jesus 2012 by Judy Baer

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: christian, for-review
Read in February, 2012

When I first received Mornings with Jesus I was thrilled to have a devotional by some amazing authors! While this book didn't exactly meet my expectations it was still very good, just a lot different than I expected. I thought we would have some scripture to look up as well as some deep meaningful challenges laid out like most devotionals go. However, this is not exactly how this book goes. We do have a scripture reference, but it is about 1 line only and you don't have to look it up, it's provided. Then it goes in to a story by a different author. Sometimes the stories just don't seem to connect great with the scripture and they don't really connect with me either although I did find them fun to read. At the end of the story there is a one sentence faith step! I read this devotional along with another one that offers more scripture references and challenges and together they make for a great time alone with God.
Like I said earlier, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a devotional but I do enjoy reading the stories and listening to the different challenges each lady faced. One in particular that I connected with was the judgmental issue. The author goes in to how most people are turned away by Christians because of our judgmental attitudes. I never really thought that I was a judgmental person, mostly because I keep my thoughts to myself. But then it occurred to me while reading this story that even though I might not voice my thoughts, I still have a tendency to judge others. I think in my head that they are not behaving like Christians should, etc. etc. The faith step for that day was to go an entire day without criticizing or judging anyone. To me that included in my thoughts also. Let's just say, it was a lot harder than it should have been. That day gave me a lot to think about and consider about my attitude and thoughts.

Some days I connected with the stories that were shared, and other days I didn't and that's probably pretty normal. No one really connects to all life stories they hear about. Overall I am really enjoying read this devotional, though to me it's more like encouraging stories than a devotional. Very good!!

Thank you to the publishers through Litfuse that provided me with a free copy of the book in exchange for my personal and honest opinion. All opinions are my own!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mornings with Jesus 2012.