Dan Schwent's Reviews > Stick

May 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, 2012, elmore-leonard, leonard
Read from May 27 to 29, 2012

Fresh out of jail after the events of Swag, Ernest Stickley tries to go legit and winds up back in the thick of things once again. While lying low as a chaffeur, can Stick stay alive long enough to collect the $5,000 he's owed?

Stick is a by the numbers, run of the mill Elmore Leonard book. I can't imagine it's anyone's favorite Leonard. However, it is enjoyable in the same way all of Leonard's books are enjoyable. It contains all the Leonard hallmarks: lowlifes, broads with loose morals, slick dialogue and more double crossing than you can shake a stick it at.

Stick is the return engagement of Ernest Stickley, one of the loveable lowlifes from Swag. While Stick is a pretty slick character in the mold of most Elmore Leonard protagonists, he wasn't as interesting as Swag's other lead, Frank Ryan. Too bad Ryan died in prison from drinking moonshine.

The plot is pretty simple. Stick's supposed to help deliver some money, get's double crossed, and then spends a lot of his time looking over his shoulder and trying to get even. The supporting cast is a mixed bag, from Chucky, the man with the womanly hips, to Nestor, the Cuban drug dealer who practices Santeria, to Kyle McLaren, the lady financial wizard that Stick has his eye on.

Leonard's dialogue is the star of the show, as it normally is. I guess my main grip with Stick is that I felt like I've read it a few times before. It's was good but didn't stand out at all compared to the other Leonard's I've read. It's still a three star read though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stick.

05/27 page 20
09/19 marked as: read
show 15 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-14 of 14) </span> <span class="smallText">(14 new)</span>

Kemper I think Burt Reynolds did a movie version of this one back in the '80s.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "I think Burt Reynolds did a movie version of this one back in the '80s."

I'll have to look that up. Stick sure didn't seem like the Burt Reynolds type.

Jason Yeah, it was Reynolds. Terrible film. I don't trust anyone named Reynolds.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent It sucks that so many Leonard adaptations wind up being duds.

Jason Have you seen 52 Pick-Up? That's among my favorites, along with Soderbergh and Tarantino...

Kemper It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember it as being pretty bad. Even a mustache couldn't improve that movie.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Mike wrote: "Have you seen 52 Pick-Up? That's among my favorites, along with Soderbergh and Tarantino..."

I heard 52 Pick-Up was really good but I haven't seen it. The book was great.

message 8: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed [Redacted] I just noticed "Stick" is available free on demand on my cable system so I will let you know how horrible it is. Watching it now.

message 9: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed [Redacted] Oh Jesus, directed by Burt Reynolds, I'm screwed.

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent You're a brave man, Ed

message 11: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed [Redacted] Wow, that was a pretty bad movie. It was approximately the quality of a 90 minute episode of "The Fall Guy" if you remember that abomination. It was also apparently filmed during an unfortunate period of time in American history when everyone thought it was cool to act like an overly aggressive douchebag in every possible circumstance. I do not recommend it, in fact, I de-recommend it. I finally begin to understand the appeal of censorship. I was going to read the book but now I don't know anymore.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

. Too bad Ryan died in prison from drinking moonshine.

Well, damn, that's what happened to Frank Ryan?

message 13: by Cbj (new)

Cbj Dan, this book is at number 67 in the 100 great crime novels of all time:

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Cbj wrote: "Dan, this book is at number 67 in the 100 great crime novels of all time:

I scoff at this list. Stick is a second tier Leonard at best.