Nikki Vanderhoof's Reviews > Casting Off

Casting Off by Hugh Howey

Oct 29, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, dystopian, sci-fi, series
Read on March 21, 2012

** If you haven't read the first two in the series yet then don't start Wool 3. It's an absolute necessity to start this novella series from the beginning**

I'm starting to think I could just fill my library with works by Hugh Howey and never have to read anyone else! I love the sci-fi genre and this series has continued to amaze me. Hugh is wonderful and being able to draw you into a character's life and their thoughts without getting you so attached to that person that you can never move on. Everything that happens in this series is totally necessary to the overall story and I wouldn't change anything. Hugh has done a wonderful job at taking a "low level" mechanic and introducing her into the surface environment, which is polar opposite from what she is used to. It doesn't feel forced or silly, it is really the only way this story could work.

Julia definitely becomes the heart of this story and for good reason. She stands for all the things that we should ALL stand for if we were in this scenario.

Howey also introduces a terrific "villain"! I use quotation marks around villain since although he is the antagonist, he has his own justifications which can't be completely dismissed. Honestly he is kind of introduced in Wool 2 but he doesn't really start taking on his full potential the character he is until Wool 3.

Having already read the whole Omnibus I will tell anyone who is reading this review to absolutely stick with it!! It's totally worth it. One of the best series I've EVER read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casting Off.

03/21/2012