Jeffrey Scott's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Feb 08, 12

Read in December, 2011

I love it when an author takes a unique slice of history and puts it into a gripping tale that makes the past come alive. Laura Hillenbrand has done just that in her well-researched book Unbroken. The reader is taken back to World War Two and plunked right down into the waters of the Pacific, struggling to survive on a tiny raft with three crewmates. Later the reader is crammed into a small bug-infested cell at a Japanese POW camp. Revealed mostly through the eyes and thoughts of Louis Zamperini, this book brings history to life. It taught me something new about the war. For me, the most gruesome POW stories I'd heard were from the Vietnam War era ... until now. The inhumane treatment our soldiers received in the Japanese camps was beyond belief, and that makes the ending of this book all the more spectacular.

Without giving it away, I'll just add that it doesn't end when Louis and his fellow prison mates are rescued. In fact, I was surprised when there were still quite a few pages/chapters to read following the war's end. But that, to me as Christian, is where the book gets really good. And I'll leave it there - just a tease for those who haven't read it yet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.