Jess's Reviews > Carney's House Party

Carney's House Party by Maud Hart Lovelace

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012-all, 2012-new, ya-historical, young-adult, library-book
Read on February 15, 2012

I love that two of the three proposals we get in this series aren't actually proposals at all, but commands. You WILL marry me or else. It shouldn't work, but it totally does.

This was adorable! Carney is so, so great and all the girls, and one thing I really appreciate about MHL is how well she writes different types of girls. She's not just writing the same character over and over again, they run the gamut, really, and it's so refreshing.

Plus, Betsy and Joe!!! Betsy and Joe!!!!

And okay, Sam is a pretty adorable baby hippo. I admit it. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carney's House Party.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by steph (new)

steph Carneyyyyyy. Carney and Sam. *FAVORITEFAVORITEFAVORITE*

Jess My library needs to hurry up and get this to me! It has to be getting close to 28 days since I put it on hold.

Katie I WANT TO READ IT RIGHT NOW.

Graaaacccceeee, are we SURE we can't just make people read a book a day, so we can get to this one sooner?

Jess YOU CAN'T DO THAT UNTIL I HAVE THIS ONE IN MY HANDS. Then it can be on like donkey kong.

Grace I see no reason why we can't make everyone read a book a day. I MEAN, REALLY.

Caroline Sibley is a stick. AND I LOVE HER.

Jess YOU ALL ARE NOT HELPING MY IMPATIENCE.

Katie I JUST HOPE WE'RE NOT BUILDING IT UP TOO MUCH. Really, you see, it's a terrible . . . NOPE. CAN'T DO IT.

Grace I WORRY WE HAVE BUILT THIS UP TOO MUCH IN YOUR HEAD AND YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Have you put Emily on hold too? I really think this should be your last one if you can, since you already have read them out of order.

Grace AHAHAHAHAHA KATIE.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess I do have them both on hold. The library has not turned over either of them which makes me think the same person probably has both. Hopefully soon? I NEED TO KNOW, OKAY?

Katie I mean, you'd think they'd HAVE to return them soon unless they're into racking up fines!

message 12: by steph (new)

steph THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN BUILD UP THIS BOOK IN YOUR HEAD. Honestly, no way.

And stupid people need to return their library books either on time, or before their due date. Common courtesy, you all.

Grace YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Grace No pressure or anything.

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess I'll repeat what I said to Katie: BABY HIPPO?!?!

Grace Baby hippos are LOVELY. Especially when they are named Sam.

Grace CARNEYYYYYYY. I think one of my favorite moments in this book is when she and Betsy are talking about Sam and Betsy is trying to give advice and Carney thinks that won't work at all because she's not like Betsy. I DON'T KNOW. I just LOVE that about them. How very different they are, and how they are still friends.

Katie YESS YESSS EVERYTHING GRACE JUST SAID!

And how Carney/Sam, according to my usual preferences, progresses WAY too quickly, but it WORKS. Especially how it's addressed in-text in regards to how she's not really comfortable talking to Larry about things she's talked to Sam about.

And I think some of my favorite Betsy/Joe moments are actually in this book. That whole outside perspectives can be AWESOME thing!

OH! And the glimpses of women's college in the early 20th century. I WANT TO KNOW SO MUCH MORE.

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Oh, yes! I loved that scene. And also that Carney wants to have that conversation with Betsy because there are totally conversations you have with one friend that you wouldn't have with another, you know?

BETSY'S FACE LIGHTS UP WHEN SAM SAYS HE SHOULD COME AND JOE CALLS EVERY SUNDAY AND NO ONE ELSE IS INVITED TO THE TRAIN STATION AND JOEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I would read so much set at women's colleges! I really, really want to read something about that now.

Katie Daddy Long Legs is set in a similar time period at a women's college and I remember loving it, but UGH BEEN TOO LONG. NEED TO RE-READ IT.

AND YES!!! THOSE BETSY/JOE SCENES. And actually that whole scene in general, when Carney is thinking about love and how it looks on people and !!!

message 21: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Who wrote that, Katie? There are apparently a lot of books with that title.

Grace You asked the question for me, Jess. I AM ALL ABOUT MORE WOMEN IN COLLEGE FICTION.

Katie Oh huh. DID NOT KNOW THAT. Jean Webster! She has other books, too, that might relate, but I haven't read them.

And it's a free eBook!

message 24: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess NICE. Thanks! I don't just want to read this because I eventually want to write Samantha Parkington at a woman's college and runs into her old neighbor, why would you ask that?

Grace IF YOU WRITE THAT I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER.

Filed under: things that need to exist.

Katie HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. IT'S ALL FOR A GOOD PURPOSE!