Steve Rawls's Reviews > American Sniper

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

M_50x66
Feb 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

I tried, I really tried but I just couldn't make it through this book. I wanted to like it because I'm ex military and I live in Texas but about half way through I put the book away for good. The writing was dull and choppy, the sentences short and non descriptive. It read as if it had been written by my nine year old son. I found the repeated referral to bar fights and the continuous boasting of kill numbers to be a complete turnoff. I had hoped for colorful narrative like that of Black Hawk Down but instead found the book, well, just boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John About half way through. I hate to agree, but you're right. I'll finish it, and bless Kyle and his family. What an amazingly talented solider that was taken from his family too soon. The book is not written well; it's very juvenile. The story is worth my time, and maybe yours

message 2: by John (new)

John This book leaves you wondering if all those people he killed were guilty.

Skyqueen In other words, Steve, Sir, you wanted to be entertained. From a fellow Texan here who nonetheless gives thanks and gratitude EVERY morning for our military men, women and animals. God's grace be with you. Let Freedom ring!!

Chuck Cornmesset John, it's not for you to decide who is guilty or not. Just the same as it wasn't for Chris. It war and war is hell. It's kill or be killed.

Austin Brogan The simple fact is he's a seal not a dam writer. You shouldn't expect someone who came from the military to be a dam good writer.

Joshua Piorier I didn't see any where in the book would he boast about his kills, rather the opposite. He put the reader in his shoes and did a pretty good job. Bar fights? Hardly mentioned throughout the book but maybe all of 4 times. You wanted to read up on a Navy SEAL but I don't know what you would be expecting...Did you want him to talk about his favorite food?

Clark I finished it; the second half isn't as good as the first half. Re: all the comments that he's not a writer--well, that's why he hired not one but two ghost writers who both failed at their job.

Steve Ok cut Kyle some slack he's a solider not Shakespeare.

Otter there were maybe 2 references to bar fights. I don't find it hard to believe that that happens in the military.