Roger N.'s Reviews > The Mirage

The Mirage by Matt Ruff

7200510
Feb 24, 12

Read from February 11 to 24, 2012

I have to admit, I wasn't in a big hurry to read The Mirage initially. The blurb summaries just didn't appeal. I really enjoyed Matt Ruff's Sewer, Gas and Electric, but The Fool on the Hill has been sitting on the shelf for a while, and I only recently bought Bad Monkeys in a Kindle sale. I have, however, been following Matt's blog (and his wife, Lisa Gold's, as well), and he was very enthusiastic about it, and that kind of spilled over, so when I was looking for something very different than a British cozy law mystery, there it was. (There's something very wrong with that sentence, but I'm going to leave it as is, I think.)

I'm awfully glad I did. The initial conceit (let's swap the US and Arab states' positions in the War on Terror!), while at times played for laughs, actually works. The book gradually slides sideways, becoming more complex and simpler at the same time (if that makes sense). It all ends quite differently than I expected while reading, and that's all right; by the time it gets there, the story has earned the ending it has.

Now I remember why I liked SG&E so much, and am forced to wonder why it took me this long to read another of Ruff's novels. Won't take that long for the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirage.

02/11/2012 page 51
02/12/2012 page 69
16.0% "And pow! All of a sudden this gets all science-fictiony. Not that I'm complaining."
02/21/2012 page 332
77.0% "Here's where the book drifts into a magnificent double-troll."
show 1 hidden update…