Timothy Darling's Reviews > Old Testament Figures in Art

Old Testament Figures in Art by Chiara DeCapoa

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading, art, biblical-studies, brain-food, history, religious, spiritual-food
Recommended to Timothy by: Paul Garber
I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Testament Figures in Art.

02/08 page 12
02/15 page 23
7.0% "Michaelangelo's moment of creation. Nice commentary, pointing out things I had not seen before."
03/07 page 65
18.0% "The book is divided into episodes, each episode (in this case, the Flood) presents 4 or 5 pictures, highlighting details. Very nice indeed. This episode inlcudes a piece by Michelangelo from the ceiling of the cistine chapel, usually ignored in favor of the heroic creation of man panel (which is also in the book)."
03/21 page 69
20.0% "The aftermath of the flood. Surprisingly the book says the image of Noah's drunkenness is widespread. I can't say I've ever seen a depiction of it."
03/28 page 75
21.0% "The Tower of Babel ... the images and explanations gave me a good idea for an upcoming message."
04/09 page 82
23.0% "The stories of Abraham. Once the book moves away from the primeval stories of Adam and Noah, it is a bit more text heavy, explaining more about fewer pictures per episode."
04/18 page 92
26.0% "The stories of Lot, including the visit of the angels to Abraham, the fall of Sodom, and the incest of Lot and his daughters."
04/23 page 95
27.0% "The expulsion of Hagar and Ishmael. This is a very sad story and I find it interesting how many artists depict Abraham in great sympathy with the mother and son, blessing Ishmael as they go."
08/10 page 101
29.0% "The Caravaggio of Abraham sacrificing Isaac has a beautiful realistic quality, gotta love renaissance art"
show 11 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new) - added it

Timothy Darling I'm reading this book slowly, as a devotion. It's highly detailed and has a beautiful selection of art.