Kristin's Reviews > The Longing

The Longing by Beverly  Lewis

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: christian-fiction, 2012-reading-challenge, amish
Read in February, 2012

"The Longing" is the final installment in "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher" series and I absolutely cannot wait to read more from Beverly Lewis!

In this book we see more of the struggle of a community as it comes to terms with conflicts of faith and church division. The community is also devastated to hear about a near fatal injury of one of their own. Much of this book explores how God can use any situation to open our eyes and our hearts to Him, and also to our friends and family that we may need to make amends with.

We see Rhoda's struggle with her self-worth, her longing for love and acceptance, her disappointment in herself at turning her back on her family as well as her struggle with finding herself yet still keeping her family and her values. Her desire is to simply be loved while still loving and being true to herself.

The book also continues to explore romances for Nan and Nellie Mae and continues delving deep into the heartache and loss that has settled over Rosanna and her husband, Elias. One thing is for certain - through happiness, love or loss we see one important message shining through - the importance of prayer and putting our trust in the Lord, not only for our salvation but also for all the trials that may come our way.

I really enjoyed this book series and learned more about the differences between the Mennonite, Old Order Amish and New Order Amish. I suggest it to any fan of Christian, Historical and Amish fiction.

To read my review of The Parting click here
To read my review of The Forbidden click here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longing.