Melki's Reviews > The Rabbi's Cat

The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: cats, graphic-novel, religion
Read in June, 2012

The good news is - the cat can speak!
The bad news is - he only tells lies!

Well, the second part is wrong, but he is one argumentative puss!
He argues theology with the rabbi, and makes fun of the man's students,
going so far as to follow one young man to see if he frequents a whorehouse.

Cat and rabbi make a great comic duo. Observe this exchange where cat is reading aloud to the rabbi:

Cat - "Because if you want I can look for a fable with only kosher animals."
Rabbi - "Ah! Shut up and read."
Cat - "Do you want me to shut up or read?"

Despite the cute cover and talking animal theme, this is not a book for children. Besides the aforementioned brothel thing, there are discussions of human sexuality and a few depictions of hot, rooftop cat sex. Cat has definitely not been neutered.

It's hard not to like cat even though he is an insufferable smarty-pants; his arguments just make so much sense! Even I managed to learn a thing or two from him. The most important lesson? Every now and then - It's worth shutting your mouth to be happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rabbi's Cat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Melki wrote: "It's hard not to like cat even though he is an insufferable smarty-pants; ..."

Many cats have this side to their personality (felinality?) both in literature and in real life. Arguing with a rabbi is a new one on me, but on second thought, it's not that far fetched...

Melki Looking back on the cats I've known, I can think of a few who might have enjoyed a good philosophical discussion had they acquired the power of speech.

Come to think of it, cats are constantly thinking "deep thoughts," only we call it napping.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard I often think very deep thoughts too!

Melki Years ago, I remember reading a short story about cats who were suddenly gifted with the ability to speak. They started telling all the secrets about their owners...who was having affairs with whom, etc.
Can't remember the ending, but I think it involved a lot of dead cats.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Melki wrote: "Years ago, I remember reading a short story about cats who were suddenly gifted with the ability to speak. They started telling all the secrets about their owners...who was having affairs with who..."

When cats start to gossip, they can be so... what's the word?... catty.

Melki Meow.