Patti's Reviews > The Game of Kings

The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: ebook, middle-ages
Read from March 18 to 25, 2012

This book had more twists and curls to it than Shirley Temple's hair. The cast is huge and I'm bummed that I bought this as an ebook because it doesn't have chapter placemarks meaning if I wanted to swing back to the character list in the beginning and I had to do it page by page. That was annoying. But not the writer's fault.

What was the writer's fault was the switch of point of view - sometimes even within the same paragraph. I got whiplash it sometimes happened so fast. In defense, this was written in 1961 and perhaps editors weren't so strict on things like that. But to modern readers it was hard to understand and amateurish to read.

But those are the only faults with this book. The story dealt with the political intrigues of 1540's Scotland while Queen Mary is still a preschooler and the country is run by her French mother. The protagonist is the sympathetic scoundrel Francis Crawford of Lymond who is searching for a way to regain his honor and cause as much trouble for the invading English as possible.

Great read but sometimes difficult to understand as Lymond tends to spout off in French and Latin almost as much as in English, but even without understanding those languages, you will find a swashbuckling adventure on par with The Three Musketeers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game of Kings.