drey's Reviews > The Judas Strain

The Judas Strain by James Rollins

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, mystery-suspense-and-thriller
Read in January, 2012

I featured James Rollins on the blog in 2010 (May) and picked up Altar of Eden then; I also meant to pick up some of his other books, which I did – but didn’t get around to reading til’ now…

drey’s thoughts:

I know I’m reading these out of order, but that’s alright – The Judas Strain stands on its own. Even so, one of these days I will backtrack and read the prior books.

James Rollins drags you into this thriller slowly as he sets the stage for a high-action, fast-paced race against time to save (what else?) mankind. The threat first shows up in an island in the middle of the ocean, and it is devastating. Sigma Force sends two of its own to assist, and in short order they’re taken hostage – along with a cruise ship volunteered as a floating hospital for those afflicted. Now Gray Pierce must decide if he can trust his archenemy when she shows up looking for help in averting disaster.

There’s a bit of everything for everyone here. See paragraph above for the omg-it’ll-be-a-biologically-disastrous-doomsday scenario (for those fans). A trip to the Vatican to unearth a clue (for the Dan Brown fans). Another clue at the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul (for the They Might Be Giants fans). A third clue at a tomb (for the Lara Croft fans). A blast of an ending at Angkor Thom’s Bayon temple (for the explosives fans). And running through it all – Marco Polo’s return journey from China (for the history fans).

The Judas Strain is a quick read with plenty of action to keep you going. The Sigma Force characters are likable, the villains are not (hah!), and the ending is kinda creepy. Pick this one up if you like this sorta thing (see above for fans-of examples), you won’t regret it.

drey’s rating: Excellent!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Judas Strain.