Wendy Unsworth's Reviews > Into the Darkest Corner

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Feb 08, 2012

Read in October, 2011

I found the format of Into the Darkest Corner one of its most readable qualities. I enjoyed the alternating time shift between past and present and found it to be an effective device to tell the story of Catherine's present, lonely, frightened situation and the terrifying relationship that eventually brought her to this.
We are soon plunged into the present world of Catherine, her obsessive checking of locks, windows doors.... her lonliness and mistrust. Though I found myself reading quickly through one time period to the next wanting to know, 1) What brought her to this? 2) Is she still in danger? 3) Can she find happiness? I was ultimately disappointed for both catherine and myself. Where were her so-called friends when she needed them most?
The author's use of repetition to re-inforce the sheer relentlessness of OCD was hard to take, at times. I was longing for more involvment from the other characters who had figured so largely in Catherine's life but fell away without a fight when the chips were down.
A dark, disturbing read that kept me going to the very last page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Darkest Corner.