Ben Dutton's Reviews > Fall on Your Knees

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

Feb 08, 12

Read in January, 1997

I read this when it came out and remember really enjoying it, when I thought I wouldn't. It has the qualities of an epic, and the shifting narrative styles really help keep the story interesting and alive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall on Your Knees.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina Rodriguez WHAT IS IT ABOUT? AND DID YOU ENJOYED SO MUCH WOULD YOU READ IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN?

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Dutton The blurb: Following the curves of the twentieth century, FALL ON YOUR KNEES takes us from haunted Cape Breton island in Nova Scotia through the battlefields of World War I into the emerging jazz scene in New York City, and immerses us in the lives of four unforgettable sisters. The children of a driven and ambitious father, the sisters -Kathleen, the oldest, a beautiful talent intent on a career as an opera diva; Frances, the drunken rogue and child prostitute; Lily, the pseudo-saint cripple; and Mercedes, the fervent Catholic and protector of the flock - are swept along by the tumult of events and of their own desires. This is a story of family relationships, racial strife, miracles, attempted murder, birth and eath, and an extraordinary love affair.

Your other question: I did enjoy it, I still own a copy, but like I said, I read it a long time ago. My review was posted from memory. I will read it again - it is still on my bookshelf somewhere. If you're thinking about reading it, I do recommend it.