Sally's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: babysitting-for-julia, fantasy, ya, aussie-author-but-not-aussie-book, au-or-dystopia
Recommended to Sally by: Julia
Read from August 16 to 18, 2012, read count: 1

I couldn't quite get into this as much as I wanted to... it seemed like I was just reading all the little scenes without really seeing the big picture. I'm not really an epic fantasy type of person, so this was a little bit further out of my comfort-zone than I usually tend to wander, but it was recommended to me by one of my closest friends so I had to give it a go! Especially because, like with the Tomorrow series, it seems to be the kind of series that every Australian but me read in about year 8 or 9.

I've only read one of Isobelle Carmody's books before this one, The Gathering, which we did in year 8 English and which I absolutely loved to pieces. I love her writing style, it's just the level of non-real-worldness that kind of lost me. The combination of an unknown future setting, a post-apocalyptic society, and weird magical talents just kind of lost me :/ Ideally I would have liked a lot more introduction at the start to explain, but the thing is also that when I was reading the introduction in the first place I was starting to get lost because I just couldn't visualise it.

If you're into stuff like LotR you'd probably love this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.

08/16/2012 page 31
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa it seems to be the kind of series that every Australian but me read in about year 8 or 9.
You and me. I hadn't even heard of this series until today! Still, I might look this up since I love LOTR.

Sally Oh wow, really?! I think you would love it yourself!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa There's 8 books in the series! :\ I might try it, but getting frustrated with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has made leery of these epically long fantasy books. Though, Obernewtyn looks to be a fairly short book and not 1000 pages long.

Sally Obernewtyn itself is short, but the books near the end of the series look pretty hefty :/ it's actually only six books so far and one more on the way - for some weird reason the Americans split the fifth book into two parts? Possibly because having seen my friend's copy it's enormous!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ah, so it's the "each book gets progressively longer than the last" syndrome? :P Just saw your "aussie author but not aussie book" shelf - brilliant. I may have to steal it.

Sally Seems to be ;)
And you just reminded me I need to add a few more to that shelf!