Ange's Reviews > Wentworth Hall

Wentworth Hall by Abby Grahame

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, books-i-own
Read on August 14, 2012

Historical fiction is my absolute favourite genre and when I heard about this book I had to get it. And I can tell you I was definitely NOT disappointed. This was such an entertaining and easy read. I loved every single minute of it and I was captivated by every word.

Wentworth Hall is home to the Darlingtons, who are one of England’s’ most elite families in the early 1900’s. Yet they have secrets that lay behind these walls. The father is slowly running out of money and it’s getting harder and harder to maintain the extensive grounds and a beautiful house that desperately needs upgrades. Everyone who lives in this house have something to hide, the maid, the French nanny, Michael the groom, Maggie Darlington, her younger sister Lila and even their mother and father.

I loved all the characters in this book; they were all had unique personalities and I enjoyed learning about each and every one. Maggie at first came off as a self absorbed, spoilt and cold but you soon understand why and that she has formed this persona to protect herself. Lily was a sweet, kind girl who just wanted to be noticed and acknowledged. Michael was a gorgeous, rugged, kind and sweet guy. Then there’s Nora, the gossipy maid who can’t help but talk about the goings on of Wentworth Hall and Therese the shy French nanny.

The story was told from different point of views including Lily, Maggie, Michael, Nora and Therese. It was good to see all the different sides to the story and how the secrets that each character is keeping are slowly being revealed. All the different point of views in the book were not at all confusing and actually added extra depth to the plot.

The romance was absolutely captivating. I love forbidden love especially when it occurs between different classes. What I also loved were the excerpts from the newspaper, which depicted the Darlington family and their guests and made their story into a hilariously entertaining article.

This book was a quick, absorbing, entertaining read that captured the turn of the century and the transition into the modern world beautifully. The book have everything romance, conflict, drama, controversy, secrecy and betrayal. It was beautifully written and a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wentworth Hall.

08/14/2012 page 47