whatsthatcrap's Reviews > The French Lieutenant's Woman

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

Feb 08, 2012

liked it

I am not too eager about books where the author painstakingly reminds me on every other page it's a work of fiction I am reading. John Fowles seems to believe his readers have the grasp of reality of toddlers, as he deems necessary to tell them constantly the characters of are not real, he's creating them and please, don't ever forget you're reading a book.

Also I am not overly eager on alternative endings. For me, it's just seems lazy and uninspired. Maybe the first time such artistic device was used it was very intense - well, it's not anymore.

Most of the readers are dissatisfied with ambiguous portrait of the protagonist, Sarah Woodruff and the lack of clear motive for her actions. That's not my problem with the book. Exactly the opposite - I understand all too well the state of mind where every change, even for the worse is better than things staying the same and the impulse to aggravate the circumstances just to dare yourself.

My problem with this book is I don't really got into the main characters. Sarah and Charles are portrayed as cold, distant and unlikable personalities and halfway trough the book I didn't really care if they live or die. The only character I felt kind of close was Ernestina, and it's obvious the reader is not supposed to care about her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The French Lieutenant's Woman.

08/22 marked as: read

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Voorhees I've read this book three times and taught Fowles' "Magus" about 20 times at the high school level. This review is banal drivel; the "writer" does not have the experience or sophistication in literary criticism to write anything approaching a serious review of any of Fowles' books, possibly excepting "The Collector".