Jo's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: ya, for-review, e, own, 2012, boy-crush, heart-skipped-a-beat, soul-sister-heroine, you-got-a-friend-in-me, when-can-i-move-in, bonnet-eaters
Read from March 08 to 13, 2012

So I have this tendency to make up a phrase or a word and use it so often and determinedly that I actually forget that it’s not a real thing. I am often reminded that I am a ridiculous human being have this tendency when I mention said phrase/word to other people and they look at me for a moment before backing away slowly.
Today, ladies and gentlemen, you are about to witness the creation of one of these phrases.
Bonnet Eaters.
OK, I should probably explain this one.
I stay way clear of certain books. The ones with girls in flouncy dresses on the cover. The ones with more than one love interest. The ones with the phrase “inexplicably drawn to each other” in the synopsis. The ones where the heroines discover they are special and they are the only ones who can save the world.
I’ve had bad experiences with those books. They make me cranky. But there are a few authors who have written books that have fallen into those above characters, ticked all of those evil, evil boxes and I have completely and thoroughly enjoyed them.
“I will eat my reviewing bonnet if I end up liking this one because it’s probably going to be diiiiire.”
And they’re not… not at all.
Geddit? Bonnet Eaters? Never mind… it’ll catch on, you’ll see.
I’ll make sure of it.
Laini Taylor did it with Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Cynthia Hand kind of did it with Unearthly and Ms Bardugo has done it with Shadow and Bone.
I love it when authors make me look stupid. It gives me faith that YA authors are just as bored with the stale clichés as we readers are.

Anyway, let’s talk about the book.
I’ve not really been doing a lot of reading recently so I read this one over about four days which is almost double the time it takes me to read a book. Normally that would be a sign that I hated it, but I really wasn’t. I kept finding myself wondering what the characters were getting up to, wondering whether I could just sneak away and read a few chapters.
This book is incredibly addictive and I would like the next one please.
When?
About a week ago.
THANKS.

Anyway, let’s talk about the setting.
I have to admit I did get a little confused while I read this. I got all these names and places thrown at me and I couldn’t fit them together or make sense of them. This is probably just me because I get confused easily but I did get there eventually. Even though I got a bit lost, you could tell that Ms Bardugo always knew what was going on. She had thought of everything about the world she created but she never hammered you over the head with it.
Maybe when I read fantasy/paranormal/books that aren’t set in the street I live on, I need to be hammered.

Over the head with detail… not like drunk, I can’t imagine that would help very much at all.
But yeah, I really loved the setting. It was different and unique without being smug and too clever. I’m really excited to see where else Ms B takes us within this series and exploring what lies within the shadows.

Muhahahahaaaaa.

Anyway, let’s talk about Alina.
Yes. Alina was a great narrator and a wonderful character. Just the right mixture of strength and determination and “Oh my god, what the eff am I supposed to do now?!”
I always wonder why heroines who have been told that they are the only chance to save the world just take it in their stride as if it’s the most regular thing in the entire world. How? Talk about pressure.
But Alina had the right amount of moments where she just wants to crawl under some furs and wait until it all blows over [which is what most of us do, admit it….] but when she wants to fight and be generally brilliant she does and it’s awesome.
I loved her and I want to have a sleepover with her and Genya. Fantastic.

Anyway, let’s talk about Mal.
Oh yes, Mal. I think I love you. I love that you’re a bit of a lad. You’re a bit of a one who tumbles with girls and drinks and is cheeky and is flirty but is also a rugged mountain man and is protective without being a douche.
I know this book is not exactly the most realistic book in the world (unfortunately) but the characters felt real. The characters talked, bantered and acted like teenagers. Or well, you know… teenagers who live in a horrifying world with magic and evil people who could kill you with the wave of their hand. Literally.

Anyway, let’s talk about me and Mal.
One of my greatest fears in life is that one day I will discover I have magical powers and I’ll be expected to save the world and no one will love me. This is why Mal is the perfect boy for me.
Then again, I also hate clowns and boats when they’re out of the water but I bet Mal could deal with them too.
He’d definitely get my last Rolo.

And finally, let’s talk about those clothes.
YES. I would like a kefta [and yes I did keep thinking about Moroccan food throughout this whole book, but that’s not really a new thing.] in any colour….. except black.

*looks mysterious*

I’m guessing this story is going to be a trilogy and I have to admit I do have some concerns [looking at you man with the storm coloured eyes and your inexplicable-ness and you Miss Alina with your betraying heart] but I have two more bonnets lined up and I can’t wait to be proven wrong and look even more foolish than I already do.

Also, kind of randomly, this book is going to be called The Gathering Dark in the UK and I think I love that more than Shadow and Bone. It makes more sense to the story… but I prefer the cover of S&B. DILEMMA.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on Wear the Old Coat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

03/09/2012 page 20
5.0% "Think Mal and me are gonna get on alright... *cough*"
03/09/2012 page 64
17.0% "Oooh." 5 comments
03/09/2012 page 100
27.0% "I really need sleep... after this next chapter."
03/12/2012 page 169
46.0% "Finally getting to sit down and read this again. :)"
03/12/2012 page 200
54.0% "Man, if I owned pearls they'd be being clutched right now. ;)" 3 comments
03/12/2012 page 292
79.0% ""...this time I didn't wake him." || Swoon.."

Catie Damn you!!!

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo .....what? :-|

Aly (Fantasy4eva) LOL at Jo. You poor thing. i just imagined you getting ready make a run for it! ahahaha.

Catie I've just been trying to hold off on reading this (since it doesn't come out until June) but now I just know that you'll love it and I won't be able to contain myself. Damn you!

message 5: by Steph (last edited Mar 09, 2012 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph Sinclair Hehehe... Catie. You would love it!

Catie Stephanie!! You are a major part of the reason that I want to read this so much!

I'm going to crack soon. I can feel it.

Steph Sinclair Catie wrote: "Stephanie!! You are a major part of the reason that I want to read this so much!

I'm going to crack soon. I can feel it."

Do not resist. Give in to temptation. Lol!

message 8: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Seeing your status, Jo, makes me want to reread this book even though I just finished it a few hours ago.

Steph Sinclair Christina wrote: "Seeing your status, Jo, makes me want to reread this book even though I just finished it a few hours ago."

I want to re-read it too! *sigh* Such a fun read!

Sonya It's great to know that the book is good as it is one of my most anticipating books this year :-D

message 11: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Now it's my turn to lurk.
*lurking*
I want to read this review, please.

message 12: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Lurkylurk.

Ha, I'm writing it now but I'm not sure when I'll post it... it's not out until June!

It's good though :D

message 13: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I'm hearing lots of good things about this one, I may have to check it out :)

Steph Sinclair Reynje wrote: "I'm hearing lots of good things about this one, I may have to check it out :)"

Yes, you do. :D

message 15: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Oooh, I'm curious as to why it's a 4, not a 5 star book for you, Jo :D.

message 16: by Jo (last edited Mar 13, 2012 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo It was so close to be a 5 star one, Christina, it really was.
I guess (view spoiler)

If that makes any sense? Hahaha.

Steph Sinclair Jo, (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jo (last edited Mar 13, 2012 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo (view spoiler)

message 19: by Steph (last edited Mar 13, 2012 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph Sinclair (view spoiler)

message 20: by Jo (last edited Mar 13, 2012 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair True, true.

Also, book two we need you!!! There isn't even a GRs page. Hmm... Maybe we should create one. Lol.

Eon is great. Fantastic world building.

message 22: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Is there a way of making a GRs page for book two o.O? I'd be down for that :D.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Jo, I love your brain. "Bonnet eaters" is now a thing with me - I may even make a shelf. I'm delighted you ended up liking this one - I loved it myself. I think everyone loves Mal, but half my enjoyment was derived from the Darkling. (view spoiler). Fun review :D

I also prefer the UK title! Too bad I live in the US :(

message 24: by Jo (last edited Mar 27, 2012 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Jessie! ;)
Have you read the spoilers between Stephanie and me up there ^^. I have concerns about the Darkling.
I love him as a character though and, I won't lie, I bet he's really hot.
If the UK version had the US cover I would buy one and send it to you. Alas, no. We have a girl looking lost in a cloak. *sigh*

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Jo wrote: "Thanks Jessie! ;)
I love him as a character though and, I won't lie, I bet he's really hot.
If..."

Yes, I did, like an eavesdropping creeper! (view spoiler)

message 26: by Jo (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Exactly!
(view spoiler)

Oh, and you are always welcome to be an eavesdropping creeper on my reviews. I encourage it.

message 27: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I regret nothing.

;)

Rogier Sam wrote: "Brilliant review, Jo! I will be starting this next week now. :D I'm glad you liked it but I wish you hadn't written this review, though. You do realise I have a READING LIST, don't you? Thanks for ..."

lol sam

Rogier i'm so pining over this one
this is really high on my must want list

Steph Sinclair Awesome review, Jo! I just love when authors make me devour pages from my Twilight book. Ha!

Also, this:

OMG, you too?! XD

message 31: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Stephanie! Twilight book? Hahaha, brilliant!

And I know. I can't even talk about it without breaking into a cold sweat. *shivers*

;)

message 32: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I am inexplicably drawn to you.

*Jo runs away*

*Rey chases*

LET ME LOVE YOU!

This review is fantastic :) I need to hurry up and read this, don't I?

message 33: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Oh Rey, there is nothing inexplicable about you being drawn to me.
You know it's because of my hot bod and my face that makes angels weep.

;)

Thanks Rey and yes you do. I'd be interested in what you'd think of it, actually, because I'm not 100% sure that you'll love it. I don't know why... iiiinteresting.

message 34: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I would read it next, but if I don't start Night Beach soon, Trin will come after me... *hides from Trinity*

message 35: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo That Trinity is a rummon.

message 36: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Jo, for me, your reviews always go well with a cup of good coffee - a great way to start my day! I'm convinced I have to get this book now. Just on a side note, you mentioned that the UK version is called The Gathering Dark. Both versions are available for preorder at Book Depository however, Shadow and Bone (Hardback) is 368 pages long whereas The Gathering Dark (Paperback) is 224 pages - are they due to font size difference you think? How many pages is the copy you've got?

message 37: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo The copy I have is a PDF from Netgalley but I've just had a look and it comes up to 369 pages.

How bizarre. Are font sizes often different in different editions? Maybe us Brits have excellent eyesight and can deal with teeny tiny writing? Ha.

Oh wait, actually... I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe Ms Bardugo's Twitter?) that Keith Thompson had drawn a map for it, maybe he's done other illustrations too?
I don't know!

And thanks, Alyssa! What a compliment :-D I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 38: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Just in case there is another person out there who is particular about which book version to get, I emailed the author and asked her. She reassured me that there isn't like 100 pages missing from the UK book version (most probably a typo on Book Depository), however, there is a difference in language and the UK version DOES NOT include Keith Thompson's map. Your eyesight is safe for now, Jo!

message 39: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ooh, thanks Alyssa, that's interesting!
I'll probably get the American one, I love Keith Thompson's illustrations so much.
I can deal with a few missing 'u's. :)

message 40: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Jo wrote: "I can deal with a few missing 'u's. :)"

(delay reaction) Oh yes, I get it! I'm Aussie, so we write like you's (!). Not sure if you've ever been to Australia Jo, but you'll be blown away with how miniature Britain the place is, with our own Hyde Park and all.

I'm definitely getting the US book version. I'm not skimming on the map!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard “inexplicably drawn to each other” is like a book-killer phrase to me. Pretty much guarantees I won't pick up the book.

Jaime Lester Thanks for such a refreshing, enjoyable, unbitchy, make me snicker review. I am reading S & B now, and you made me want to stay up until the wee hours to finish it. too old for that, but I will push my limits tonight. Gracias!

message 43: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. I love this review, Jo!

And I want your last Rolo...I'm not creepyyyyyyyy I proooomiiise!!

message 44: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Haha, thanks Jaime (Sorry, only just seen your comment! :) ) and K! Glad you enjoyed it :)

And of course you can have my last Rolo. I saved it for you. *hides empty Rolo packet behind back*

Jaime Lester Why, thank you Jo, for the last Rolo. Yuuuum!

Jessie Wow, what a great review! I love being able to read a book and then someone shares my opinions on it. (ex. I thought the cloaks rocked, too.) It's always nice to be able to look at a book and be like "Well, Jo likes it, might as well give it a shot."

message 47: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Jessie! Ha, I'm glad you liked this one too. :)