Heather (hungrycookiemonster)'s Reviews > Claimed By Shadow

Claimed By Shadow by Karen Chance

May 29, 12

bookshelves: adult, reviewed, supernatural
Read from February 08 to 11, 2012

Original review posted on: heathersworldofbooks

This book was utterly amazing. A total 360 degrees from the last novel. I give "Claimed By Shadow" by Karen Chance a 5/5 stars.

Reservations on "Touch the Dark":

I need to start out by explaining that I truly struggled with the first book, "Touch the Dark." I found the novel to be heavily descriptive and very confusing at times. I also felt that, though there was action, the majority of the book took place in a living room setting (where the characters proceeded to shove history down our throats). If you read my first review of "Touch the Dark," you will know that there is nothing more annoying then having to read through lenghtly paragraphs of pure history. It was torture.

Glad I read "Claimed By Shadow":

Having said that, I feel no such way about "Claimed By Shadow." Since the second I picked up this book, I haven’t been unable to put it down. I was completely shocked by how different this novel turned out.
"Claimed By Shadow" surely doesn’t suffer from the short comings of its processor (mostly the drawn out descriptions and nonexistent dialogue).

In "Touch the Dark," I balk of the story was told through Cassie (only giving her feelings on the majority of revelations). Furthermore, this left me feeling a great connection with Cassie but unable to really bond with the other marvelous cast of characters. Since there was more dialogue featured in "Claimed By Shadow," I found myself not only strengthening my connection with Cassie her whole group as well. (view spoiler)

Guy trouble:

When I was first looking into this book, I came across a few other reviews that basically labeled Cassie as a sex-manic. From this description, I must have missed something. When exactly did the whole sex-manic come?

Early on in the novel, you do find out that Cassie has had a geis cast on her. What the geis , in this case, binds Cassie together with a certain man. I won’t say who the man is or if the geis is resolved or not but I can add that Cassie isn't too happy about it. So what does a woman do when she finds herself bound to a man without her consent? She rebels. Not a sex-manic rebellion though.

*scratches head*

I’m still now seeing it.

Recommend it?:

As I said throughout the review, "Claimed By Shadow" more than compensates for the first novel. If you are on the fence as to if you should continue on with Cassie’s story, I can honestly say, DO IT. There will be no disappointments in this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed By Shadow.

02/09/2012 page 13
3.0% "He put a 'chastity belt' spell on her? That is ridiculously funny."
02/10/2012 page 52
14.0% "2nd book is much better. Loving it!"
02/11/2012 page 245
66.0% "Iron Fey flashbacks lol."