Jo's Reviews > The Year of the Beasts

The Year of the Beasts by Cecil Castellucci

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: ya, for-review, graphic-novels, e, own
Read on March 05, 2012

I wish I had some kind of superpower that allowed me to touch a book and get a feel of how much it was going to destroy me.
[Also, wouldn’t that make an incredibly geeky fantastic TV programme that only I would watch?]
Because I thought that this book was going to be a sweet book about first kisses and sisters and lovely things.
And it was.
But it was also the kind of book that punches you in the gut.
Multiple times.
And then just as you’ve got your breath back?
BOOM.
That’s it slapping you in the face.

I’m kind of tempted to leave this review there because that’s basically how I’m still feeling about this book and I finished it a good few days ago. But I like the sound of my fingers tippy-tapping against my keyboard.

This book is so clever. I didn’t really understand the connection between the two alternating chapters (one is written in prose and the next is a graphic novel) , and I can understand why people wouldn’t really like the style, but it didn’t bother me at all especially when the pictures looked like this.

Gorgeous, right?

And the thing about this book is that I can’t even say that there was a huge twist. Because it was right there in front of me from the beginning.
But that’s all I’m saying.
This book was genius and I’m still feeling a little wobbly with surprise at the turn of events.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on Wear the Old Coat.
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Beasts.

03/05/2012 page 51
35.0% "This book is too cute and exactly what I need today." 19 comments

message 1: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi "Instead I got a punch in the face and a broken heart and it was excellent."

This interests me.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ha, this book was certainly interesting.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Oh my, oh my—I am really looking forward to this one! Ha! Yes, I guess I am looking forward to a punch in the face! ;) Great review, Jo!

message 4: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit Fab review Jo, it seems everyone is reading graphic novels nowadays yay! and "I picked up this book because I was feeling sorry for myself and wanted a gentle book that was the equivalent of a literary cuddle. Instead I got a punch in the face and a broken heart and it was excellent." best line ever!!! :)

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Laura!

Jasprit, YAY, I hope so! I've read some really great ones recently! Thank you :)

message 6: by Reynje (new)

Reynje I picked up this book because I was feeling sorry for myself and wanted a gentle book that was the equivalent of a literary cuddle. Instead I got a punch in the face and a broken heart and it was excellent.

I love this.

I love you.

Kaalomai thats why you go to good reads first and see what people said. i feel the way you do. not so into the heavy read right now and it was a rough time getting through it. but i also thought it was very good. and i did read the reviews here first but i love this author so much that i read it despite reading your (and others) warning reviews.

Lovekitty So true. I wasn't expecting the sudden twist in mood, either. Brilliant writing.