Whitney's Reviews > Kilmeny of the Orchard

Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery

Feb 07, 12

Lyrical prose and a sweet, gentle love story full of lusciously descriptive settings and emotion with a dash of everyday humor to make it all more human. How I love L.M. Montgomery.

(I caution readers with modern tastes that as advanced a writer as she was for her time L.M. Montgomery was still a product of that time and some of her social mores come out in her descriptions of characters from other ethnic backgrounds (in this case a young boy who seems to come from an Italian background). She tends to describe these characters where they rarely appear in her works (so far I've only encountered characters of varying ethnic origins twice) in a way that depicts these individuals very much as caricatures -- the contrast of one-dimensional stereotype is all the more jarring as she draws her other characters much more fully. In this case the character is somewhat minor but I did find it distracting and liked the story a little the less for it if I'm totally honest.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kilmeny of the Orchard.