Ryan's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jul 05, 07

Read in December, 2006

First I should point out that this is not even remotely the type of book I would normally read unless forced to by an evil high school English teacher. I only picked it up as a books-on-tape from the library to listen to during my long commute in August. After quickly realizing my ability to be read to extinguished some time back in elementary school, I returned the audio version to the library and decided to finish the story in traditional fashion.

So in that perspective, the book actually turned out to be not so bad. It is basically a warped love story between a sadistic outsider named Heathcliff and a haughty lady named Catherine. Catherine ends up marrying Heathcliff’s rival Edgar Linton but the repercussions of their love triangle ends up lasting long past all of their deaths.

Told from the perspective of the nanny, Nelly, the strength of the story lies in the character of Heathcliff, who is both abhorrible and yet not unworthy of sympathy. His struggle to destroy the loves of all around him in revenge for losing his childhood love to his nemesis is despicable, however not wholly inexcusable. While depressing and somewhat slow at times the story is an interesting look at the depths of human nature and lost love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.