Amber's Reviews > Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool

Screamfree Parenting by Hal Edward Runkel

Jul 16, 08

** spoiler alert ** I read this book in complete desperation. I had never screamed as hard as I did yesterday and I took a big look at myself and decided it just had to change. I have good kids, they don't need to have someone (namely me) screaming at them ALL THE TIME. This has been the summer of the yell.

As for the book, I was at first quite cautious. It started in on the whole idea of fixing yourself, worrying about yourself, making yourself better, which initially got my shackles up because I'm so tired of the Oprah state of mind that's make yourself happy first at the cost of everyone else. This book states that by making yourself happy and calm, in result, you will better not only your own life, but the lives of your children. I was skeptical at first, but after reading the entire book I now truly believe the principles outlined.

I also really enjoyed the part about growing. By being calm instead of reactionary, you get the opportunity to grow with your child and become a better parent as they become a better child in return. I've tried it out a couple times this morning and it truly works. It's not going to be easy, in fact, it's going to be extremely hard, but I can only try to be better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screamfree Parenting.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Oh my gosh! I just snorted water out my nose! I mention it to you yesterday, I have been reading bits from it for months, and today Amber has read, rated and reviewed the entire thing! I love that about you. I'm glad you liked it. I was cautious in the beginning also but loved that it was instantly making a difference for me and my attitude and by default making my and my kids entire day go better.