Beth F.'s Reviews > Faefever

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

Sep 19, 08

bookshelves: fairies, druids, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, 2008, i-reviewed-this-bad-boy, 2012
Read in October, 2012

There are only four authors whose publication dates I follow religiously. And ever since the Harry Potter series ended and Anita Blake turned into a creepy sort of person I’d be disinterested in meeting if she were real, there are only two of them whose publication dates I follow religiously so I can actually be at the bookstore the moment it opens on release day to buy my copy. Karen Marie Moning is one of them.

I was introduced to her Highlander series a couple years ago and fell passionately in love with the characters and their happily-ever-after endings (not to mention the heart-pounding love scenes!) Her writing style is easy to read and a perfect mix of intelligence and comfortable colloquialism that makes it easy to approach without being full of typos and awkwardly structured sentences. I say that Karen Marie Moning is a romance author for the people who want some decent plot with their sex! Mix in some gorgeous men in kilts and an element of fantasy (time travel, druids, Fae Princes, some Berserkers, whatever) and you’re good to go.

All that being said, her Fever series is completely different. Faefever is the third in the series and I would strongly advise you NOT read out of order (Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever). Each subsequent installment of the series is closely tied in to the one before it and without that foundation, it would be very confusing. I would also categorize the first three books in this series as more “urban fantasy” than “paranormal romance” so if you need a happy ending, these dark books might leave you feeling unfulfilled, at least for now.

The main character, MacKayla Lane, is a ditzy southern belle who is forced to grow up fast. After her sister is brutally murdered while studying abroad, MacKayla (Mac for short) travels to Ireland to identify her sister’s body and get some more information. She is unwittingly sucked into an unbelievably crazy subworld of Celtic myth that includes bad fairies, druids, dark hallows, evil plots, mystery and unfulfilled sexual desires with men of indeterminate scruples. Moning’s fans have quickly learned that the author has the ability to write some unbelievably compelling cliffhangers and this installment was no different.

The things I especially liked about this particular book:
--Christian MacKelter (mmm, young druid man, I hope to see him get his own book in the Highlander series. I wouldn’t mind seeing V’lane go the way of Adam Black and get his own either but that might be a stretch!)
--the MacHalo (Mac made Barrons laugh, yay! Wow, total fangirl moment there.)
--V’lane dressing Mac in sleazy bikinis (hilarious, I could totally picture it)
--learning more about the Lord Master
--more clues about who/what Barrons is (dun, dun, dun!)

The ending killed me *sad face* and I’m OMGCAN’TWAIT for the next book and desperately wish I hadn’t discovered the series until all five had been published. So yes, my one recommendation would be that if you haven’t started this series yet but think it sounds interesting, wait until they’ve all been published unless you like being made mad crazy over a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie (jjmachshev) Agree with you 100% and great review!!
J

Julie (jjmachshev) And who is the 'other' author you wait for?
J

message 3: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn I enjoyed Moning's Highlander series and Melissa B recently told me about this series. I'm going to have to get on them. Sounds great!

Yes, whose the "other author."

Beth F. Diana Gabaldon. :)

If Jamie Fraser were real, I'd run away with him!

message 5: by MelissaB (last edited Sep 18, 2008 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Beth,

Great review! I can't wait to read it this weekend. I agree with wishing I hadn't found the series until she wrote the whole story. I wish she would put out the books at six month intervals, I get the feeling she already wrote the whole story but is taking so long to release the books because of her publisher (which is just pure torture for those of us obsessed with the books). One comment, you have the Fever books listed backwards, it should be Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever.

I found KMM years ago when I picked up Kiss of the Highlander on a whim. Dark Highlander was out by then but I have had to wait for each of the subsequent books in hard back. But she is worth it!

I still haven't read Outlander, it is sitting on my shelf waiting for the day that I am caught up enough on my TBR pile that I have the time to read the huge thing. But I can't wait to meet Jaime!

I have a few other authors whose publication dates I follow religiously (other than KMM): Pamela Clare, Lora Leigh Breeds, Nalini Singh's Psy/Changling, J.R. Ward's BDB, Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress, C.L. Wilson, Christine Feehan's Dark series

Julie (jjmachshev) Here's a few of the authors I read...

J

Beth F. Doh! You’re right Melissab! I’ve edited the review to get the order right. Thanks for the heads up. : )

Outlander is phenomenal, it’s one of my all-time favorite books, but it’s also one of those books that I’d never recommend without a caveat. I’d certainly classify it as genre-bending, because the romance between the two main characters is a big part of the story but it’s not the main part (and it bugs me that a lot of bookstores still shelve it in romance instead of general fiction although that has been changing in my area). The fact that time-travel plays a big part of the book probably prevents it from being housed full-on with the historical fiction but in all honesty, I feel that’s where it belongs. It’s LONG. It’s dense. There are details about day-to-day life in Scotland during that time period. There are family dramas. There are tons of characters. It covers a very broad range of topics such as politics, war, illness, medical beliefs of the time, domestic abuse, rape, homosexuality, you name it. It’s an engrossing read. I read it in a week (the first time) and was barely sleeping. I’m still not sure how I managed to not make a major mistake at work and get in trouble, but even if I had I’d have been in such a daze it probably wouldn’t have even fazed me!!!

I’ve started reading a couple of the authors on your list as well, but haven’t worked my way through them all. I started reading Ward’s BDB a couple months ago (have read the first two) and am impatiently waiting to receive the rest! I have the first two books from Christine Feehan’s Carpathian series on my shelf at home right now and am hoping to get to them soon. I ended up listening to an audiobook version of one of the later books in the series and am very curious to start at the beginning, it seems like a fun one!

Beth F. Thanks for the link, Julie! I’ve heard of several of those authors—a lot of those names are on an excel spreadsheet I keep of “authors to check out.” You have a great blog!

Barbara M. It's a love/ hate relationship for me being crazed by a book! It will drive me nutso until I have the last book in my hand. Here's hoping we don't have to wait an eternity for the next one!

Julie (jjmachshev) Beth,
Thanks. Since I know next to nothing about blogging, it's kinda funny for me. Especially when I get comments from authors <>.

I just write about things I need to vent about and, of course, books!!
J

Beth F. Barbara, I agree with you 100%!!!

Kimberly Yes, I agree totally with you and the end nearly killed me that it was left there!! I was so mad that that happened to Mac by LM and his cronies and not by Barrons or V'lane. :)

Maureen Saltarelli Bravo, yes, beside this series, the only other one if have waited in line for a book is the harry potter series. And now this one too....do you know when the next one will be out, i hear there are five altogether.