Cynthia's Reviews > The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town

The Innocent Man by John Grisham

Nov 30, 08

Recommended for: Grisham fans
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

This was a completely different style for Grisham, as it was his first attempt at non-fiction. How sad that this story is, indeed, true!

A heartbreaking story of what happens when bad cop is determined to solve brutal murder, even though none of the evidence points to the two guys he's trying to frame. Even sadder is the unstable mental health of one, Ron Williamson, and how this conviction and subsequent years on death row affect him.

A story of what can happen when pride results in abuse of power that ultimately gets out of control

It made me appreciate not only my own health and stability, but my own ambitions. Ron Williamson, the center of the book, wrote the following as part of a biographical profile, "What was the reason even for my birth? I almost cursed my mother and dad...for putting me on this earth. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't be born." A man with so much potential in high school who ultimately had a "wasted life." I don't know which affected me more...his wrongful conviction, or his wasted life.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent Man.