Janet's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Aug 06, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, highest-recommendations
Read in August, 2008

It occasionally blows my mind when I manage to go THIS LONG without reading a book that could have spent the last ten years as one of my favorites. Is it that I'm sometimes vaguely intimidated by "classics", or just that I somehow just never get around to reading them?

Anyway, this was another Goodwill find - a $.50 copy (in excellent condition) of Fahrenheit 451. I thought "why not" and scooped it into my pile that day, and when I finished The Catcher in the Rye earlier this week I grabbed it just because it was tiny and could easily be taken to work for lunchtime reading (August heat + high gas prices + general thriftiness = reading at my desk during lunch a lot lately). And gosh did I devour this book in just a handful of days - it's brilliantly written, an insanely quick read, and captivating enough to keep me from wanting to put it down. Pretty much everything you've ever heard it is, which is why this book is obviously a classic.

Fahrenheit 451 also really resonated with me, because in the past few years I've once again really, really embraced my book nerdiness, and a dystopian future where libraries are hidden and firemen burn books is just about as horrifying as it gets. Plus, I love the fact that this book has held up amazingly well considering the fact that it was written 55 years ago - yes, it's borderline sci-fi but it's a future that doesn't quite seem impossible, and nothing is so far-fetched that you get distracted as you're reading by the sheer implausibility of it all. Plus, many aspects of the world Bradbury depicts seem eerily around the corner, given the current state of our country.

If, like me, you've managed to go your whole life without picking up this book, do it now. I bet they have a $.50 copy at your local Goodwill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.