Kat's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: fiction-sci-fi-fantasy, young-adult, own-kindle
Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

It's a little simplistic, in writing, plot, and characters, but appropriately so for a young adult series. The characters are interesting and colorful. The lore is thoughtful, consistent, and researched. The plot is compelling and satisfying, but leaves some loose ends that I suspect will be over-arching plots across the series. I also particularly like that the apprentice is a person of his own mind - while he may listen to the instructions and wisdom of others, he makes decisions based on an internal sense of right and wrong. There is also a "different does not necessarily mean bad or evil" theme as well.

The world itself, however, feels a little shallow. It sounds like simple countryside dotted with small towns. Some daily beliefs and superstitions come through, but with little sense of history or spiritual belief structure. However, there are hints at such things that may be developed across the series.

All-in-all - a good light read for anyone and a story with strong characters and positive values for younger readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.