Bookstorequeer's Reviews > Chasing the Moon

Chasing the Moon by A. Lee Martinez

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, humour, horror
Read from February 07 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

I liked this book overall, it's a fun story and there are some very interesting, surprisingly philosophical points brought up but there are also what I felt to be some rather big problems.

I was confused as to what was going on for about the first third of the book. Individual scenes would be interesting but, honestly, the only reason I stuck with it is that I know I've enjoyed the majority of this author's work that I've read before. I think that first time readers might not stick with it long enough for it to get better. I realise that the confusion might be on purpose, since the main character is thrown into this story, but at the same time, I felt like there was a lot of background for Diana that was missing. There were off-handed comments about already having her suitcase packed but I had trouble connecting with the main character from the beginning.

As I said, it got much better and I did enjoy the ending but for me, it missed the mark a little. It was too difficult to get into and I think that will turn some people off. If you can get through the first third, then you'll probably really enjoy this one and you will be glad that you read it. It just might take you some time to get there.s

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Moon.